A Tough Day For The Fire Department

Tacoma, Washington

The fire alarm was blaring through the air, but the damage was already done. A boy curled into a ball in the corner, his knees tucked to his chest, and his face filled with tears. The girl laid in the fire, her eyes full of ash and smoke rather than cold tears. Not even the fire department could fix this. Craig Fisher was at a loss for words. He worked for the Tacoma Fire Department for 10 years, and he was always successful at putting out fires. But, not this one. The fire claimed the life of Sarah Clifford, and her brother, Kyle, was in mourning.

"This is the worst day of my life," said Craig, his eyes starting to water. "We couldn't save that girl."

"It's such a sad state of affairs," nodded his friend, Victor. Whoever started this fire, is gonna pay the price. We got an arsonist on our hands."

"My babies!" shrieked the mother. "My girl! She burned up!" She was bawling her eyes out, at the loss of her daughter.

"I miss her already, Mom!" sobbed Kyle, hugging his mother.

"My ex husband did this!" barked the mother. "He caused this fire, and killed my daughter!"

"This is too much for me!" said Craig, fighting back tears. I gotta get out of here!"

"It's gonna be okay, Craig!" said Victor. "Come on, let's go to Pizza Hut! That should cheer you up! I know how much you like Pizza Hut! I can't stand to see you all upset over this senseless tragedy!"

"You had me at Pizza Hut," croaked Craig, smiling sadly.

This was a short story writing prompt, part of a writing competition by WritingPromptQueen

Word Count: 269