Playing With Fire

IT'S OFFICIAL

IT'S OFFICIAL

It's done. Taehyung has been served the separation papers and my cell phone has been ringing non-stop since it happened. I know I'm being a coward by sending his calls to voicemail, but I really don't give a shit. He's had plenty of years to change, plenty of years to be the man I needed him to be.

Too little, too late.

There's not one single thing he could say to me now that would make me change my mind. This wasn't a rash decision. I took these four weeks away from him to really sit down and think about our life together. I was with him for so long. We grew up together and he's all I've ever known. It's a scary thing to realize that I stayed for so long because I was in love with the idea of our relationship, not with him. I was seduced by the idea of showing everyone that we could defy the odds, that a couple who met and fell in love in high school could live happily ever after. Walking into the courthouse today, I knew I'd made the right decision when I didn't mourn the future we might have had if things had been different. Instead, it made me sad to think about all the time I wasted trying to fight for something that was clearly never meant to be.

After a few hours of work, I suck it up and head into an empty conference room to listen to his voice mails. The first couple of them were just as I expected. Taehyung pleading and apologizing for screwing up, promising that he'll get help and he'll make it up to me. Each one grows increasingly more desperate until I can pinpoint the exact moment when he stops being upset and just gets angry. He calls me every insult he can think of, curses and yells and then apologizes for his behavior the very next message. It's an emotional tidal wave that I've dealt with from him for years. His words cut like a knife and he thinks that an apology can staunch the bleeding. He has no idea that those words have piled up until the scars on my heart are so jagged there is no sewing them back together.

I feel like a fool for the guilt that's consumed me since Jungkook's kiss and my almost-orgasm Saturday night at the bar. Once the residual effects of tequila overload dissipated, I was filled with regret over my response to Jungkook on what was my first night out without my husband. Even though I feel nothing in my heart anymore for Tae, he was still my best friend and the man I'd loved for half of my life. I was more than a little ashamed at having let things get so out of hand with Jungkook, even though I knew the combination of tequila and nostalgia were mostly to blame. Seeing him again brought back a lot of memories and took me back to a time when I was young and carefree and had my whole life ahead of me. It made me remember what it felt like to get butterflies in my stomach during a first kiss and how exciting it was to experience all of those firsts.

Listening to Taehyung berate me and call me a heartless bitch almost makes me wish I would have dragged Jungkook into a dark, empty room at the bar and let him fuck me up against the wall. Hearing Tae's last voicemail announce in a threatening voice that he spoke to his attorney and I can't keep him out of his house has me storming out of the conference room with my phone clutched so tightly in my hand that I'm surprised it doesn't snap in half. The loud, high-pitched shriek of the building's fire alarm starts to blare through the office right before I make it to my desk.