Line of Fire

EVERY SINGLE MUSCLE and bone in my body has turned to jelly

EVERY SINGLE MUSCLE and bone in my body has turned to jelly. Somehow I find the energy to get up off of Jungkook's chest, leaning down to pick up my discarded clothing while he walks over to the corner of the room and turns off the stereo.

Jungkook's eyes follow my every movement as I step back into my panties and slide them up my legs, stopping when I see the look of undisguised misery on his face.

Immediately concerned that he's having second thoughts about what happened between us, I feel my eyes tear up as I ask, "Everything ok?"

He crosses his arms across his chest, shaking his head as he growls out, "Fuck, no, everything is not ok. Baby, it's sacrilege to cover that body up."

I can't help but smile at him. He just spent nearly an hour working me over, but I'm suddenly ready to go again. I've never felt this sexy or wanted in my entire life and it's a heady feeling.

I've finish getting dressed and Jungkook has pulled his shirt back on and buttoned his pants when I hear the faint sound of men's voices on the other side of the door. "Shit. I have to get back to work. I've got a meeting in a few minutes," he tells me, regret heavy in his voice as he walks over and wraps me in his arms.

Reaching up, I press my lips against his quickly before pulling back. "It's fine. I need to get home and start purging my house of Tae's stuff." A flash of anger clouds Jungkook's features at the mention of Taehyung's name.

"It's okay, he's not coming back. I told him I'd pack up all of his things and drop them off at his mom's house," I reassure him.

He visibly relaxes as he tightens his hold on me. "I have to work the next forty-eight straight hours and then I'm off for a few days. I'll probably spend the first one catching up on sleep, but after that, you're mine. Can you stop by my place then? There are some things we need to talk about."

I try to mask the worry on my face when he says this. I was under the impression that we'd already hashed everything out and that he understood how I felt. I assumed after what just happened in this room that he felt the same. Maybe I misread him and he isn't ready to jump right into a relationship with me right now. I feel stupid for having these doubts, but I can't help it. He said he thought about me every single day for seventeen years. That's got to mean something, right? I hold onto that thought and refuse to let my fear ruin what we're building once again.

"That's fine," I tell him, keeping the smile on my face as I kiss him one last time.

He grabs my hand and pulls me behind him to the door, unlocking it and moving us out into the hall. As we make our way down the stairs to the bay of the station, we pass other firemen and Jungkook calls out greetings and quick questions about the call they must have just got back from. I watch his face immediately transform from possessive lover into commanding fire captain.