Part 5

They kissed. Alexander wanted to and he kissed Stevie, passionately, leaving her breathless. But then he pulled away, making some distance between them. Without words, he grabbed his nearly empty pack of cigarettes and lit one up. 

Stevie stood in the same spot, confused. She didn't speak at first either, firstly dressing up. "What's wrong?"

"I shouldn't have done that." Alexander sighed heavily, running his hand through his wavy, black hair. "Don't get me wrong, I wanted to badly, but I shouldn't have kissed you."

"I guess, this whole thing was a mistake." Stevie said, her boots zipped up, as she grabbed her purse, headed for the door.

Before Stevie could walk out, Alexander lay his hand over hers, which was on the handle already, stopping her. "I'm sorry."

"Yeah, me too." 

"No, I am." He said. "But..." He slowly turned her around, his hand cupping one side of her face. "This won't happen again." Realizing that his words weren't in line with him touching her, Alexander pulled his hand away. "We can still work together."

It would be stupid of Stevie to agree to it. She was also beginning to feel guilty, the thought of Lindsey coming to mind. Yet, she hesitated, lingering by the door. Alex seemed sincere, when she looked him in the eyes.

"I'm... I'm vulnerable, you can probably tell, since you're so good at reading people." Stevie spoke up after a minute. "I'd like to believe that you didn't use that and I hope you won't use it if I come back."

Alexander shook his head, promising. "I won't, I swear."

"I need some time." Stevie held her purse with both her hands, looking down. "Can I call you in a couple of days maybe?"

"Of course." He didn't hesitate. "Absolutely. I do genuinely want you to come back and finish what, well, what we haven't even started."

A glimpse of a smile crossed her lips. "Okay. I'll think about it and let you know. I won't keep you waiting for long."

"Good, great." Alexander added and without thinking about it, he hugged her goodbye.

Once she was outside, Stevie took a deep breath of fresh air. Alexander called in one of the people that were at the studio, when Stevie had first arrived, and asked him to bring her home. She sat in the back, feeling a wave of emotions threatening to wash over her. A tear slipped out and ran down her cheek as she watched out the window, not bothering to wipe it away.

A few years ago, Stevie would have never thought of doing anything inappropriate with another man, let alone actually doing it. Lindsey had been her whole world pretty much since the day they met, silently at first, she kept her feelings to herself, but they were still there. Stevie knew that she and Lindsey had started drifting apart and it tore her heart to pieces, but neither of them seemed to know, where to start fixing their relationship. She didn't believe that breaking up with Lindsey was an option, she sure didn't want to, but sadly, she didn't know how he felt. He used to be so sweet, loving, he cared. She wasn't sure what had happened, once they joined Fleetwood Mac. He changed, so did she, she couldn't lie to herself. No more surprises, no more spontaneous gestures of love. Yelling, arguments, pointing out things she was doing wrong. Was it really getting so bad that she was stepping over the line with someone else?

"How did it go?" Lindsey met Stevie almost as soon as she stepped inside their house. 

"Good." Stevie forced herself to say, faking a smile. "We got to know each other a bit, we discussed, how we're going to proceed." 

Lindsey's eyebrows knitted in concern. "Really?"

"Yeah, Linds. It all went really well." She nodded, emphasizing her point. 

Stevie felt like she was going to start crying. If she tried and continued to speak, she was going to start crying and Lindsey would know that she lied. So, what did she decide to do? She kissed him, she pressed her lips against his desperately, forcefully until he responded and pulled her closer. 

"Make love to me, Linds." She didn't ask, she begged.