Part 19

Lindsey's fingertips traveled up and down Stevie's hip under the sheets. Neither of them knew for how long they'd been lying together, just staring at each other. However, they'd always communicated better making love than with words. Besides, the peaceful, quiet moment was nice after so much had happened recently.

"I wish you haven't cut your hair." Stevie said, running her fingers through Lindsey's short curls.

"I can grow it back." Lindsey shrugged, wrapping his arm around her middle, pulling her closer. "I've missed you so much."

"Me too." She smiled against his lips. "We're going to be okay, right?"

"We're going to be okay." He repeated, nodding his head. "I know it's not the kind of pillow talk either of us wants to have, but... I think, we need to talk about it. And be honest with each other." Lindsey added.

"Okay." Stevie agreed a little hesitant. They had just made up, she didn't want them to start fighting again.

"How many... guys have you-"

"One." She interrupted Lindsey. "Only one."

One, Lindsey thought, swallowing uneasily. There shouldn't have been that one, but it was the best out of the worst. "Yeah? What about the Eagles?"

Stevie shook her head, cupping the side of his face with her palm. "No, Lindsey. Those guys are just friends."

"You sure have been spending a lot of time with Don and Joe." Lindsey looked somewhere past Stevie's shoulder into the dimly lit room. 

"Friends." Stevie repeated herself. "I swear to you. We said, we were going to be honest with each other."

"Okay, alright. I believe you." Lindsey half smiled, blindly searching for her hand. The conversation he'd started wasn't easy. "Do I know him?"

"You've met him." Stevie said, seeing Lindsey frown. "It's Alexander." 

Realization slowly came. "The painter guy? Oh my God! It is my fault."

"No, no Lindsey." She shook her head. "It isn't. You couldn't have possibly known things would turn out the way they did. You only wanted to do something nice for me. It isn't your fault."

Lindsey felt anger rise inside him and he took a moment to just breath. He wanted to know, he asked. "How long?"

"Well, it didn't happen just once." Stevie cast her eyes down. Her hand lay over Lindsey's heart and she could feel it beating fast. "I told him it's over. I did it before you came tonight. What happened earlier today, at the studio, it made me think things over and I knew I had to stop seeing him. I would have called you if I knew, where you were staying. I would have. I mean, I was afraid that you wanted nothing to do with me, but I still wanted to at least try and talk to you."

"It's really over?" Lindsey asked after some time.

"Yes, I swear." Stevie insisted, pressing her lips gently to his. It took a second, but Lindsey responded, kissing her back. "And there hasn't been anyone else, before Alex or after."

"Okay." Lindsey said, sighing heavily. "I never want to hear his name again."

"Never." She nodded her head and silence settled among them. She had to ask as well. "What about you and Carol Ann?"

Lindsey scoffed. "It was stupid. I wanted to make you jealous, I wanted to hurt you." Now he felt like he had to keep Stevie calm, his hands slowly wandering over her body. "We didn't get past kissing. It meant absolutely nothing. Every time I tried to touch her, I kept thinking about you."

"You haven't slept together?"

"No. Just..." Lindsey shrugged. "She's not you."

"Linds, I'm so sorry." Stevie suddenly got emotional, her eyes welling up with tears.

"I know you are, baby. And I'm sorry too." He added, kissing her, pulling her closer. "My God, we're train wreck."

Laughing tearfully, Stevie couldn't disagree. "Can we put it all behind us?"

"Let's." Lindsey nodded. "Please."

Stevie lay her head on Lindsey's pillow and he embraced her, holding her pressed against himself tightly. She drew back a little, bringing her hand to his face, she leaned in for a kiss, which quickly intensified...