Monster

The gang's taste in food was impeccable. They had set up a barbecue at Jacob's dad's, Billy Black's, house and served the food that reminded me oh so much of the season, summer. Hotdogs, hamburgers, a ton of fruit, along with a section of the table dedicated to smore's making. I ate gleefully, sitting with my sister and Leah who both looked to me warily, but the only person I was looking at was Nessie. She looked like guilt as our eyes met. 

Nessie lied to me, refused to tell me something, and clammed up. I rolled my eyes as I remember the conversation back at the Uley cabin. When the question had left my lips, "What's an imprint." Nessie fumbled her words out. Mumbling and messing with her hair. Her eyes jutting from me to the ground. 

"Oh, uh. I-um, well, I. They're... they're like ducks?" At her pitiful answer, I crossed my arms and jutted a hip out. 

"Mmhmm." She dragged her eyes to meet mine and shook her head.

"It's something that I shouldn't tell you." My brows furrowed at her. I could feel the anger flood my system. It felt like the moment before a storm when you can feel the electricity in the air. Tension hung around us like a thick fog.

"You're sounding a lot like them, hot stuff." I spit the term of endearment out and Nessie shook her head. She knew who I was referring too. 

"It's not my place to say." The defense was weak and I had never been more thankful to feel my phone vibrate. I answered to hear Kendall's voice asking if I wanted a ride.

"Yeah, I would love to." I looked back towards Nessie, guilt etched into her features at her slip up.

The sun was beginning to set, children ran around carrying glow sticks, joking with each other. A group of teens not in the cult sat together around each other. I hadn't realized this was such a community event. I poked Leah and she raised her eyes to me in amusement.

"I thought this was just a weird cult thing," I commented to her, Kendall and Leah rolled their eyes in unison. She shook her head, eyes flicking to her brother who I was pretending did not exist.

"No, it's a council meeting." My lips formed an 'O' shape and I nodded.

"Yeah, that makes much more sense than a cult." Kendall snorted at my declaration as I shot up to grab more watermelon. The two shared a glance and while my back was turned to them they pulled Collin, who was just passing by, in my spot. Colling grumbled and rolled his eyes at the two girls who proceeded to ask him about his thoughts on their color scheme ideas.

Meanwhile, I was piling my plate. I felt the heat roll off of him before I saw him. He didn't say anything, instead, just look at me. Seth Clearwater was always looking. My eye's brought to his and I didn't see the usual mirth behind his eyes. I set my plate down on the table and placed my hands on my hips. He shook his head and made a move to turn away while mumbling something out. It was an automatic reaction to roll my eyes.

"Hey, no," I whispered to him from between clenched teeth. My hand reached out to grasp his arm and he froze. Why was he acting so fucking weird? Seth turned around when I started to tug on his arm. Why did I feel so calm?

"I'm sorry, I know you don't want to see me. Like at all. The guys told me to come to talk to you and I said no because you told me not to and I am now... here." He rambled on, eyes jumping from place to place yet never landing on my curious eyes. His tempo slowed when he noticed I was listening to him. "I'm also sorry about upsetting you." I wore a small confused scrunched up look on my face. "And because I was being nosy." I nodded. Holding my hand out to me. He just looked at it like it was gold. Weirdo.

Eventually, he reached out and shook it. "Truce." Seth held a bright smile.

"Truce." I nodded at his words, tearing my hand from his and grabbing my plate, making my way back to the bonfire, noticing my seat was taken. So was Seth's. The only seat left was next to Embry. I rushed over to him and sat. Now Embry was acting weird as he jumped up, grabbing both of Seth's arms and pushing him down next to me. Embry had pulled Collin off and sat next to Kendall and Leah. He had the audacity to wink at us. Bitch. Seth did attempt to move, but the strong voice of Billy Black stopped him in his tracks and he lowered himself back down.