Good Company

I woke up in Seth's room at Sue's house. The boy in question was sleeping on the floor. I tried to be quiet when I sat up and walked across the room to get to the door, but one step on a creaky floorboard was all it took for Seth to fly up out of his sleep and his eyes found me. He looked me over as if he was making sure I wasn't hurt in any way before letting out a sigh of relief. I paused, my hands on the door handle as his eyes wandered my body. 

I wasn't in the pajamas I was in last night. I had some clothes that I left over here and was dressed in a pair of spandex and a shirt that was a couple of sizes too big for me. I hope it's not Seth's. That would be entirely too awkward for my liking. 

"What happened last night?" I asked him. Seth looked up at me in confusion, his thick eyebrows drew together and his lips parted slightly although the emotion took up full residency in his eyes.

"You don't remember?" He asked me and it was my turn to be baffled. I shook my head at him. My hair smelt like ocean water. "You, uh... Well, you burned Nessie." Seth hesitantly said. I narrowed my eyes at him and shook my head. 

"That's not funny, Clearwater." I snapped at him. He rose from his spot eyes wide as he tried to get me to calm down. Ugh, this was just like at the Cullens but way less creepy. 

"Jo, I promise you I'm telling the truth." He swore. I assessed his face and saw nothing that would point to him lying. He looked almost sad that I would even think of it. "You burned her and then ran into the woods. Straight for La Push beach. When I got there you were lying in the sand asleep." He told me. I rose an eyebrow and crossed my arms.

"Why would I do that?" I asked him haughtily. He raised his hands in surrender and shrugged.

"I have no idea." He promised. I assessed his face once more, looking for any more lies. I nodded my head at him, turning around to go downstairs and see if Sue was home. "Maybe to cool off." He suggested and I turned to him quickly. I opened my mouth to retort, but he was quick to beat me to it. "Jo, when I found you, your lips were purple. The ocean was below freezing."

I was confused and I hated it. I don't like not knowing. I don't like being afraid. I'm getting tired of waking up in strange places and not remembering what happened. "Why didn't you take me to Uley's?" I asked him. Seth bowed his head and mumbled out some words that I couldn't hear. "What?" I asked him pinching the bridge of my nose in frustration.

"The rest of the shifters and a couple of the imprints were concerned you were going to hurt them." He said quietly once more. I paused and turned downward. Oh right, monster. I should be more truthful when I call Beaumont tonight. I need to learn how to control this fucking curse. I didn't know when my eyes started to leak, but I quickly wiped them away. I wasn't sure when Seth got closer, but he looked at me sadly. "What are you thinking?" He asked me quietly. 

I wiped another tear and met his stupid beautiful eyes. They were so dark they practically looked black. They shone like the night sky. "I need to get this under control," I told him quietly. "Can I ask you a question?" Seth nodded so hard he looked like his head was going to fly off. "Who didn't want me in the house?"

Seth hesitated. "Most of the wolves didn't, except me and Leah. Jake was super angry and the rest of them fed off of that, I think. Even though Nessie was fine, just shocked." I nodded, I couldn't believe I even hurt her in the first place. "Nessie, Emily, and Kendall thought you should stay, but Rachel and Kim were worried."

"Rachel's a bitch," I muttered out forgetting Seth's weird super hearing. He shrugged.

"I can get her to stop if you want. She was like another older sister growing up, she was my babysitter. Rachel's just overprotective." Seth explained and I looked at him incredulously. Did he not know? I didn't want to press it. I could handle it myself and it wasn't any of his business. I nodded glumly.  "How are you thinking of controlling it?" He asked.