We Didn't Start The Fire

Dinner was perhaps one of the tensest meals I had eaten since arriving in La Push. And that was truly saying something with the pack fighting every other meal with Seth's stares, Leah's existence, and the imprints just being like that. During this dinner, Nessie picked at her food, her and Seth trying to diminish whatever tension held in the air. I had, unfortunately, made not only Jacob Black's shit list but also a couple of the Cullens. Thank God for the Bear, Bitey, Walk-Walk-Fashion-Baby, Dr. Scary, and Perfection-in-Vampire-Form. Edward's lips curled upward before immediately pulling themselves down.

"So, how was the beach?" Nessie asked when we first entered the Cullen home, her award-winning smile fixed perfectly on her face. I shrugged at her, looking around at either angry or welcoming looks of her family and imprint. Bella and Edward snottily stood with their arms crossed in the living room. Before them, Rosalie angrily flipped through the newspaper next to Emmett who wasn't focused at the task at hand, looking bored out of his mind while Carlisle looked disappointed. Esme, Alice, and Jasper all stood in the kitchen preparing the meal with Nessie and Jacob sitting at the barstools before them.

"Hypothermic," I commented dryly eyes flicking to look at each of the Cullen's emotionless or pissed faces. Emmett the Bear, however, gave a little chuckle. He gave off the vibe of someone who never had a stick up his ass once, though I believe his family overcompensated for it greatly. My eyes flicked to Edward who quite frankly looked upset by my abuse of his power.  

"You know for someone with your gift," his joking grin was enough to tell me that this was either going to be the best or worst joke he had ever said and Edwards groan was enough affirmation that it would be perfectly terrible, "I would expect La Push to be a sauna about now." He said checking his watch a little faux frown slipped onto his face. I gave another shrug and small laugh towards Nessie's fun-loving uncle. 

"I did my best, but sadly mother nature wins this round." I shook my fist upwards at the sky in a mocking gesture. Emmett gave a smile while Seth gave a small laugh, however, his eyes were trained on the unpleasant gazes of Edward, Bella, Rosalie, and Jacob. His hand reached for mine but I moved out of his way. I didn't feel comfortable in my skin around them. And I wasn't going to let him manhandle me in any way, especially if it was for his comfort. 

"It really do be like that sometimes." Emmett nodded solemnly. Nessie, Seth, and I nodded similarly. Emmett's grin grew even wider revealing bright white teeth when we began to talk in unison. The phrase rolling out of our lips before we had time to even comprehend it.

"It really do." Edward gave out an eye roll and a groan. How many times did he have to deal with that in classes? Touché, Eddie. I thought, receiving some sort of pleasure at his sneer. Touché.

Esme, i.e. Perfection-in-Vampire-Form, smiled from the kitchen where she along with a confused looking Jasper (Bitey) and an ecstatic Alice (Walk-Walk-Fashion-Baby) were putting the finishing touches on dinner. Alice and Jasper weren't really helping as their eyes remained transfixed on the television.

"I still don't under-" Jasper began exasperatedly, he was practically glowering at the TV where an episode of Riverdale played. Oh my God. I didn't think them to be the type, but low and behold.

"Jughead is joining a gang to become its king," Alice explained, absolutely giddy from her spot. Jasper rolled his eyes playfully at the interruption. A small smile entertaining his face. I had a feeling she knew this already. Seth and I made our way to sit across from Nessie and Jacob at the dining room table. 

"And you think Sweet Pea is going to let that happen?" He asked her rhetorically. As Alice's golden eyes lit up knowing that she was about to reveal a spoiler Jasper held up a hand and shook his head. "Do not answer that." Alice nodded and bit her lip as her eyes trained on the TV. Golden eyes jumped to mine as she waved hi. Her bracelets clinked at the motion.