Chapter Three: We meet again

The sun bloomed up into the sky, clearing the clouds of the previous night. The fire I lit the night before steamed in the early morning after I camped from my long days of travelling from Imladris. The trees nearby loomed high above me and twisted this way and that, as if they were the only things supporting each other. The ground below was too dark for any light to live, so no longer did any plants grow in Mirkwood anymore. No birdsong was heard in the woods, not even near the entrance to the Elven Path. It seemed that since my last visit Mirkwood had descended into further darkness. 

Long ago, when I was an elfling, I could walk through the woods in awe whilst keeping safe. It was green back then and filled with young woodland animals galloping freely. You could walk barefoot on the soft moss and leaves, and soak up small glimpses of the sun. Now there was no light, no safety, no trace of young animals. The forest still held beauty in some parts, but it was dark and threatening and dangerous. Oh Greenwood the Great! Where have you gone? I thought. 

For an hour or so I sat listening to the faint whispers of the trees, though some were fair, their rustling was mingled with the growing evil in the forest. I shuddered slightly, as it reminded me of the dark dreams I had of late. So much so, I had not rested my eyes for a long while, though I could go a long time without rest. I was interrupted by the stomping of hooves, and on the green horizon I saw thirteen dwarves, Bilbo and Gandalf approaching with horses.

'You're here!' I shouted to them.

'Ah Callon,' Gandalf acknowledged. He got off his horse and walked towards the gated entrance to Mirkwood. 'The Elven Gate,' he observed quietly, a haunted look was smeared on his wrinkled face. 'Here lies our path through Mirkwood.'

'No sign of the orcs,' said Dwalin. 'We have luck on our side.' Gandalf looked uneasy for a second before he spoke again. 'Set the ponies loose, let them return to their master.' Bilbo plodded to me and Gandalf, 'this forest feels sick, as if a disease lies upon it.'

'Indeed master Bilbo, it has never been the forest it once was when I was an elfling. I say it gets worse every time I visit,' I told him. 

'Is there no way around?' Bilbo asked.

'Not unless we go two-hundred miles north, or twice that distance south,' Gandalf explained. Bilbo nodded solemnly. 

'Do not worry, I can help guide you through the forest,' I said, though I hesitated for a moment. 'So long as the dwarves do as I command,' I added.

There was no chance that those pesky dwarves would behave and trust me to guide them, we had only briefly met once. I knew the forest well enough to know that it can do maddening things to people's minds, elf or not. Not to mention the added presence of Mirkwood elves increased our danger instead of reducing it. They were not as understanding as the elves from Rivendell. But I could only try to help, as the dwarves quest was a noble one.

I stared back towards the forest through the dense leaves to where the sun peeked through in little speckles. Dangerous times are definitely ahead of us, I can feel it, I thought.  

'Not my horse, I need it,' Gandalf called out to the other dwarves who were starting to unleash it. Everyone looked up in shock.

'You're not leaving us?' Bilbo asked.

'I would not do this unless I had to,' he answered. He surely wouldn't leave me alone with the dwarves, would he? 

'Gandalf wait,' I said catching his attention. 'At least let me know where you are going before you leave me with the dwarves. Their trust in me will waver in the forest, I need you.'

'I wish I could tell you Callon,' he said resting a hand on my shoulder. 'Lead them on and don't be so doubtful of their trust, I'm sure they'll surprise you. And be careful - the darkness in the forest has grown much more since you were last here. ' And, with that, he left just as it started to rain.