Chapter Eight: Dale calls for aid

After the rider left, I went to go find Bard again, who was gathering people ready for the journey to Dale.

'Ah Callon! You can handle a weapon yes?' Bard asked, and I chuckled a little in return.

'Kind sir! Of course I know how to defend myself, and I will make sure no harm comes to the people of Esgaroth I can assure you,' I said.

'Well then that's settled. Keep your pointed ears sharp - and your eyes sharper, you are needed to scout ahead' he advised me, then he addressed the large crowd of readied people. 'Everybody! We leave now for Dale!' he ordered. I ran ahead of the crowd, scouting ahead for any danger. 

All was quiet as I jogged lightly further afield, I kept an eye out for any lingering orc parties which may be ready to prey on these vulnerable people, but there was no sign of them. However, I knew that with the death of the dragon would be of great interest to many evil peoples who would seek to take the Mountain. This was the calm before the storm.

After a few hours I slowed down, to let the slowly moving refugees catch up, including Bard. Following a few minutes walking with him Bard suddenly stopped and turned to me. 'What is it?' I asked, scanning the environment around us.

'No, nothing Callon. I just realised never formally introduced myself to you, forgive me, my name is Bard, and I was a bargeman before all this ruin was brought to us,' he apologised.

'Do not fret, I found out your name by word of mouth. Come, tell me more of your life in Laketown,' I said, interested as I started to walk ahead again. So, Bard began to tell me of his children and his late wife, and his hard life in Laketown. Though he seemed rather thankful for what he had, and I deemed him a very humble character.

'You see, I do not like them being without a mother, but death is seen frequently in the lands of men, so they have always been aware of it. I dare say not many elves see death the way men do,' he said.

'Perhaps, but that does not mean is never happens,' I replied, thinking of my own parents and where in Arda they were now.

For a long while whilst we walked I occasionally scouted ahead for any danger, or fell to the back of the group to check if anything was following us from behind. Again, all was eerily quiet, save from the cries of the suffering people of Laketown, which had begun to make me feel great sorrow. I could not leave these people, as they were not out of danger yet, I was sure of it. I had to at least warn them of my thoughts, as it was better safe than sorry. So, I briskly strode to the front of the group until eventually I found Bard again. He smiled at me, and I returned it, not yet wanting to break the peacefulness of the desolate environment around us. But my advice could not be delayed.

'News of the death of Smaug will have spread through the lands,' I spoke aloud, breaking the lonely silence between us.

'Aye,' Bard acknowledged.

'Others will now look to the Mountain, for its wealth, for its position,' I observed, looking ahead at the mountain that was just coming into view.

'What is it you know?' Bard questioned.

'Nothing for certain, it's what I fear may yet come,' I said. Of course, I knew what was seeking the mountain, the orc that was interrogated back in Mirkwood spilled too much information. The Dark Lord wished to seek out the mountain because from there he could let loose all terrors that lie in the North. But I could not say when or where this would happen exactly, I could not burden these townsfolk with Dark things that they may only believe were old legends, they had had enough trouble for now. But I owed them at least a partial truth. 'Orcs regularly patrol these lands, and their interest in the Mountain will bring them here. I wish for you to be prepared for these threats, as it is likely they may interfere, even if you do not live in the Mountain.'