Chapter Sixteen

Wuhan, China during lockdown 

February 8, 2020

Alfie's POV

Garrett was sleeping soundly when Alfie got up to start his day. He brewed some coffee and watered the plants before sitting to catch up on his emails.

He opened his laptop and turned it on. Quickly he checked his mail for any new mail from his friends in Wuhan. He frowned reading the email from Marnie.

Her email worried him. Two professors from their school also contracted Covid-19 and she was grieving the death of their friend David. She talked about being nervous about being in Wuhan and waiting to see when they could go home.

Marnie viewed her concerns about going out to get groceries and money was running low. She was tired, scared and frustrated and Alfie felt helpless.

He replied asking her for her bank information so he could transfer her some money. She sounded so desperate that it made his heart ache. With all of the airports closed in Wuhan and a strict ban already in place for travelers coming from China she was stuck there. He quickly checked the news on his laptop and his concerns about the virus spreading was realized.

It had been published that morning, February 8, 2020

As of noon today, 638 people have died, 1,546 recovered and 31,452 confirmed infected with the coronavirus. This signifies a substantial drop in the number of newly infected people. The World Health Organisation says it is too soon to say the virus has peaked.

Dr Li Wenliang, 34, one of the Wuhan 8 whistleblowers who raised the alarm about the new disease succumbed to it in the early hours of the morning. The announcement, by the hospital where he was being treated, ended chaotic hours of speculation. When Chinese media first reported his death, the hospital said he was still alive, though in critical condition. Li had become the visible face of the virus after being arrested for posting about it on social media. He announced on February 1 that he had been taken ill. His death has triggered an outpouring of grief and discontent with the central government. The topics "we want free speech" and "Wuhan government owes Li Wenliang an apology" trended briefly on Weibo late on Thursday but were nowhere to be found today. Li left behind his wife, also infected with the coronavirus and pregnant with their second child, and his parents who are also infected. China's discipline inspection commission says a team will go to Wuhan to "conduct a comprehensive investigation into issues involving Dr. Li Wenliang reported by the masses".

A second newborn has tested positive, raising fears the virus can be tramsitted from mother to child. A nine-month-old in Londonderry, Ireland, is rushed to hospital with possible infection after a trip to China.

Chinese researchers say a virus found in pangolins is a 99 per cent genetic match to the one that has killed hundreds of people in China. Pangolins are severely endangered. However, their meat is considered a delicacy and their scales are used in Chinese Traditional Medicine for a range of issues, including arthritis and lactation. There has never been any scientifially proven medical benefits to consuming pangolin scales.

The Asian Development Bank says it will distribute US$2 million to strengthen measures to detect the virus in Cambodia, China, Laos, Myamar and Vietnam.

Japan reports 41 more cases on board the Diamond Princess for a total of 61 on the ship. At 86 cases, Japan has the highest number outside of China. Passengers trapped onboard are confined to their cabins. Those with inside cabins would have no natural light and no chance to breathe fresh air. Some took to Twitter to complain about the lack of exercise, dwindling medicine and the quality of the food, but praised the crew for their kindness. Japanese officials loaded fresh supplies aboard, to make life more bearable.

The most productive car factory in the world falls quiet as South Korea's Hyundai suspended operations at its giant Ulsan complex, hamstrung by a lack of parts with the coronavirus outbreak crippling China's industrial output. The five-plant network can make 1.4 million vehicles annually, in a coastal location facilitating importing components and exporting cars globally. But the outbreak in China has seen Beijing order factories closed in several areas as it seeks to contain the epidemic. As a result, Hyundai - which, with its affiliate Kia, ranks as the world's fifth-largest auto manufacturer - has run out of the wiring harnesses that connect vehicles' complex electronics. It has to suspend production at its factories across South Korea, putting 25,000 workers on forced leave and partial wages.

Thousands of people rush to cross Hong Kong border with mainland China ahead of shutdown. Anyone breaching the restrictions will face a jail term of up to six months, a fine of up to HK$25,000 (US$3,200) or both, Chief Secretary Matthew Cheung Kin-chung says at a news conference. But Cheung deflects queries about details of the new quarantine camps, and officials face a barrage of questions about the ability of the authorities to ensure people quarantined complied with the restrictions.

Hong Kong's quarantine measures leave Conghua off-limits for Hong Kong trainers and jockeys. The 13 dual-site trainers will not be able to see their mainland-based horses in the flesh for the forseeable future.

There are now three confirmed cases in Canada - all linked to recent travel in China.

The federal government, meanwhile, announced Wednesday that it has chartered a plane to evacuate 160 Canadians who've been trapped in China due to strict quarantine measures imposed by the Chinese government in a bid to stop the spread of the virus.

The Canadian government is advising against all travel to China.

The news was grim but he was relieved to know that Marnie would be coming home soon. He knew it would be getting worse, so much worse and he also realized how ill prepared most people were.

He picked up the phone and called his Dad.  Would the soup kitchen remain open? They would have to make a plan, and fast, so that those that are most vulnerable won't be left behind.

Within the hour they had managed to call all of the volunteers at the food bank, soup kitchen and at the homeless shelter. Even their friend Chad who worked for the newspaper was coming to leand his support. He thought about it and decided to ask Garrett once he woke.

Surprisingly he was completely on board for attending the meeting and helping out any way he could. Alfie was pleased. He knew how hard Garrett was working to overcome his fears and his past and his step to pitch in and make a difference would greatly help him.