Chapter Thirty Four

Around the campfire at Alouette Lake

Recommended song:

March 13, 2020

Cal's POV

Cal was busy chatting with Sam, who was thoroughly engaged with his Dad when he felt a presence behind him. He knew who it without even needing to turn around.

"Hi Noah" Cal said smiling to himself.

"How did you know it was me?" Noah asked, moving towards him.

"Spidey sense." Cal said without missing a beat.

"Makes sense."

"The boys are playing cards. Do you want to play chess with me?"

"I haven't played in years but ya, sounds fun. We're almost done here. Aren't we Sam?" He said turning his attention to his son.

Cal expected Noah to leave but instead he sat on the bed and watched him and Sam. This was a familiar scene and Cal wondered why he paid so much attention to him. He didn't know him well enough at all to know if this is just his personality. He had watched him interact with others and there wasn't so much attention given to others as there was to Cal.

Cal dismissed the nagging thoughts quickly and turned to look at Noah. He sure is nice though.

"We're all set." He said smiling and walking out of the room. He sat Sam in the highchair at the table with a few toys and sat down in front of the board.

Cal quickly realized that they were both competitive, but in a fun way. The chess game was challenging and as much as they took it seriously it was definitely enjoyable.

They entertained Sam and each other and once again found the conversation and company of each other comfortable.

After an hour of playing, those that went for a walk returned. Josie was asleep in Adams arms and he went to put her to bed.

"There's a baby monitor on the dresser Adam". Natalie said taking off her boots.

"Great. Thanks." Adam waved. Cal loved watching the exchange between everyone, some were pretty much strangers yet welcomed with open arms.

"We're going to light a fire outside and sing some songs. Do you play any instruments?" Noah asked, leaning across the table.

"No I don't play or sing but Sam and I would love to come out and listen." Noah beamed at his reply and Cal couldn't help but smile back at him.

"Awesome." Noah replied and just sat at smiled at Cal.

Garrett's POV

Once Liam had lit the fire outside, everyone gathered their blankets and coats and headed out to the yard. Patio lights were strung across the trees and the moonless sky made for a beautiful evening. Garrett sat Alfie on his lap and they snuggled closely, wrapped up in a blanket.

Benjamin, Noah and Liam had their guitars, Alfred Sr had his harmonica, which he usually kept in his shirt pocket and Alfie brought along his fiddle. The kids sat anxiously and the grownups got comfie on the lawn chairs. The adults helped Mason and Jace roast marshmallows and once it got dark enough they set off firecrackers.

Garrett looked around the group and smiled broadly. Liam was teasing Mason and Jace, making them laugh hysterically. Allison and Adam were laughing along at the antics. Alfred Sr and Natalie were sipping wine wine and conversing together. Noah and Cal were... Well... He wasn't sure.

Garrett whispered to Alfie "what's up with your brother?"

"I know, right?" Alfie laughed. "I think he has a crush on Cal."

"I thought he was straight." Garrett was surprised.

"So did I but I cant NOT see this." Alfie began to giggle "I mean look at him!" And so they did.

Noah was sitting in a lawn chair, watching Cal and Sam. His elbows rested on his knees and his chin sat in his hands. He looked like a 12 year old and after a few minutes everybody noticed, raised an eyebrow and carried on with the conversation.

The only one oblivious seemed to be Cal. Soon enough Noah, Benjamin, Alfie, Alfred and Liam began to play. Garrett and Tyler sang and Allison joined in to the songs she knew. The kids clapped enthusiastically and Natalie was busy taking photos.

Garrett turned to Alfie and pointed to him with a wink. "This one is for you darlin'"

He borrowed Noah's guitar and began to play. He smiled brightly at Alfie, his eyes mirroring his love.

A/N song is Can't help falling in love. The version by MountainCity is worth checking out.

Wise men say only fools rush in
But I can't help falling in love with you
Shall I stay
Would it be a sin
If I can't help falling in love with you

Like a river flows surely to the sea
Darling so it goes
Some things are meant to be
Take my hand, take my whole life too
For I can't help falling in love with you

Like a river flows surely to the sea
Darling so it goes
Some things are meant to be
Take my hand, take my whole life too
For I can't help falling in love with you

When Garrett was done, Alfie walked over and wrapped himself up in Garrett's strong arms.

"Thank you bear." He kissed him softly.

Garrett sat down beside Cal and Alfie sat on his lap while the others continued playing.

"Having fun?" Garrett asked while Alfie reached out for Sam who was happy to sit with him.

"I am. What a great group of friends you have." Cal said genuinely.

"Now yours too."

Cal looked at him with seriousness and surprise.

"I don't know Garrett. They are just being nice because you invited me." Cal said, looking at Noah.

Garrett noticed where his gaze fell.

"Cal, they aren't like that. If they offer friendship it is sincere. You can trust that."

Cal was quiet for a few minutes, still watching Noah playing his guitar.

"I hope so." Cal said quietly.

"I know so Cal." He reasurred him. "By the way you're not getting Sam back anytime soon" They watched Alfie make his way to Allison and the kids happily carrying Sam.

Cals eyes returned back to Noah. I really hope so.