Chapter Thirty Eight

Natalie and Jace

Recommended song - If by Bread

Saturday March 14, 2020

Allison's POV

Allison watched Natalie play enthusiastically with her sons'.  Mason and Jace looked at Alfie's mom with such adoration that it was hard to believe that they formed such a strong attachment after only meeting the day before.

Everyone had welcomed her and her family to the cabin like they had know each other for years. As grateful as Allison was,  it still hurt her heart.

Her parents had abused her and Garrett, in the most horrific ways. Drugs were more important than their children and the scars ran deep for both her and her brother. Their parents were wicked and cruel and the jail sentences that they received were insufficient for the hell she and Garrett had been put through.

Allison's and Adam's children  only had the one set of grandparents, that thankfully were doting and kind. Watching Natalie crouch down to talk to her boys  did sting her heart.

Why couldn't she have had parents like this? Allison wondered. Her kids would only have toone set of grandparents, which she was thankful for..... but it still ached.

Alfie and Sam strolled beside her and could read the expression on her face as clear as day. He recognized the pain behind the eyes because  Garrett often wore that same look when  they were with Alfie's parents.

"It hurts doesn't it?" He asked, taking her hand.

"It does. Natalie and your dad are  so wonderful with them. Your family is so open and welcoming, it's overwhelming. Garrett loves your family. They have made such a difference in his life.  So have you Alfie." She turned to him. Her eyes welling with tears. "You have changed him. He is so happy and confident and I can see how in love you two are." She reached for him and the tears escaped.

"Well I feel like the lucky one. He's so good and kind."  Just then they felt little people wrap around their legs.

"Hey you two. Did you find any clues yet?" Allison asked, quickly wiping her tears.

"Are you sad mom?" The ever sensitive Mason asked.

"I'm good. I'm happy." She replied and bent down to hug them.

"I found two things, but Grandma Natalie made this hunt really hard!!' Jace said.

Allison looked at Natalie feeling guilty that Jace put her on the spot like that. Natalie wasn't fazed at all about being called Grandma.

"Let's go find some more clues. Mason, read the next one please." Natalie took them by the hand and continued on her mission. When Mason and Jace were busy with Alfie, Natalie walked over to Allison.

"Allison, about what Jace said..." Natalie began.

Allison interupted. "Sorry about that. That must have been awkward for you."

"Not at all. It was nice. We may not be blood related but you and Adam and the kids are family now. Garrett hasn't said much about your parents but we know that they are not in your life and I am sorry for that. Alfred and I would love to fill the roll of grandparents for those kids. More people that love them the better." She said smiling at her.

"Really Natalie? You mean that?"

"I do. We would love to have all of you part of our family." She reassured Allison who was smiling so wide.

"I would love that!!" Allison hugged her so tight and thought of all of the things that she never got to do with her own mom but now she was given this chance she would take it.