Please Don't Hurt My Family ~ Part One

Those five words are ingrained in the minds of each generation of Reagans ever since Great-Grandpa Henry taught it to Grandpa Frank. Every Reagan, no matter how old or how young, knows what to do if they ever hear those words: hit the ground.

After Dad had to use that phrase to save an injured Aunt Erin being held hostage by a gun-wielding defendant, its significance was felt greater than ever. The family had never had to say it before, and as Grandpa so perfectly summarized it: "and please God, we never will again."

~~~

Much to Erin's chagrin, she had to admit that her daughter and her niece had a point. With a reluctant look to her sister-in-law, she finally gave in to the girls' impassioned pleas, and nodded.

"All right, you've officially worn me down. If Linda says it's okay, then you have my permission too."

With a quick nod from the other woman, the girls exploded into a chorus of "thank you's" and hugs for the adults present. As they ran out of the kitchen in their excitement, Erin called out, "Are you positive you don't want to be a lawyer, Emily?", stopping her niece in her tracks. "Because as much as I hate to admit it, you did good. You had a strong opening and closing statement, good character witnesses," with a pointed glance at Frank and Henry, who immediately became invested in the newspapers in their hands, "and good counter arguments. Well done."

The sixteen year old beamed, replying, "Thanks Aunt Erin, that really means a lot! But you know me, the Reagan calling is calling out to me!" Before she had a chance to say more about her destiny as the first female Reagan to join the NYPD, Nicky popped back in to drag her cousin to the living room.

Sitting down and pouring herself a drink, Erin then turned to her father and grandfather, before saying, "And you two were no help at all, huh?"

"What?" Henry replied. "She had a good point! She and Nicky worked hard to get all A's this semester. You know how much Nicky was struggling with Spanish, and Emily with chemistry, and they both did well. One movie in Manhattan isn't going to kill them, and they did promise to be back in time for dinner next Sunday."

Frank echoed his father's sentiment, continuing with "Besides, Emily is sixteen years old and Nicky is fourteen. If I recall correctly, a certain someone was also around fourteen when we let her spend an evening alone in Manhattan for the first time." Raising an eyebrow at his daughter, who promptly rolled her eyes and took another sip of her drink, Frank stood up and stretched, before announcing, "Now if you'll excuse me, I am going to play a round of checkers with my grandsons."

He walked out of the kitchen and into the living room, where Emily and Nicky were excitedly chattering about the movie, sharing their opinions about the characters and how they thought the film would adapt certain scenes from the book.

For the next week, it was all they could talk about, to each other and to the rest of their family. When Sunday finally came, Emily and Nicky spent the entire morning and early afternoon on the phone, trying to decide what to wear, where to eat lunch before the movie, and more. Finally, they settled on their outfits, Nicky going more casual with a t-shirt from the franchise and a pair of black jeans, while Emily used the outing as an excuse to wear the new navy blue velvet dress and black booties she had bought a few weeks earlier on a shopping trip with her mom.

And so, later that day, Erin brought Nicky and Linda brought Emily to their family's home. Frank was still at 1 Police Plaza, but they were warmly greeted by their great-grandfather, who wished them fun and urged them to stay safe. After promising to text their parents when they got off the Staten Island Ferry, on the subway, off the subway, to the movie theater, out of the theater, and every stop on the way home, the girls hugged the adults goodbye and set off.