A Reagan Never Forgets

Published on September 11th, 2020, the 19th anniversary of the tragedies of 9/11. This short story is dedicated to the 2,977 people we lost on that day, to their families, and especially to the first responders who risked their lives, many of whom lost their lives, to save others. Let us hope that in today's world, like we did after the events of 9/11/01, we can come together and be united, not divided.

This was not a good week for Emily. In all honesty, she knew that she got lucky and the situation could have been a lot worse. Thankfully, she had a good relationship with her school's principal; she knew that she was a good kid, so she managed to avoid serious punishment, only getting stuck with two weeks of detention. And besides, it was the only mark she'd had on her record in her entire sixteen years of life. If she didn't have such a good reputation at school, she probably would have gotten suspended for what happened. But to be perfectly honest, if she had been put in that situation again, she would have done it again in a heartbeat, without the slightest bit of hesitation.

And yeah, if she had just apologized, it would have been only a week of detention instead of two, but she couldn't. She couldn't look that brat in the eye and say that she was sorry for what she did. She couldn't tell such a blatant lie; just the thought of it disgusted her. Finally, the principal had seen that the conversation was going nowhere, and allowed both parties to leave, without the apology, in exchange for the additional punishment.

The worst part of the whole thing was her father's reaction. As they walked out of the principal's office that Wednesday afternoon, his face was an open book, with disappointment clearly etched onto every square inch. He was disappointed in what she did, but more so in the fact that she refused to tell him why. But she couldn't. Every time she opened her mouth to explain herself, she looked at his face and the words dried up in her throat. She wouldn't be able to bear the sadness in his eyes when she explained why she punched Dylan Thomas in the face so hard that she broke his nose, so she didn't.

Until Sunday dinner.

Sunday dinner that weekend was an uncomfortable affair, to say the least. Her father had been giving her the silent treatment since Thursday morning, when he finally accepted that Emily wasn't going to tell him anything. And she had been giving to him right back. Her mother still tried to get her to talk about it, but she refused. She just wanted the next week and a half to be over, so she could be done with detention and everyone could forget what happened and move on.

The tension between Emily and her dad was so thick that you could cut it with a knife, and it was clear that the other members of the Reagan family were getting rather tired of it. On top of that, it was clear that something else was weighing on all of the adults, especially Frank. Finally, he let out a sigh, set down his napkin, and folded his hands, looking back and forth between his son and granddaughter.

"All right, what's going on? I don't think I've ever seen the two of you this quiet in my entire life."

"I don't know, Dad, why don't you ask Emily?" Danny pointedly replied.

"It's nothing Grandpa, don't worry."

"Nothing? Two weeks of detention isn't nothing, Emily!" Danny was getting heated again, like he had been in the car ride home from school on Wednesday.

"Detention? Two weeks?" Erin's jaw almost dropped. Emily was practically a teacher's pet, in a good way, of course. She couldn't imagine her niece doing anything that would warrant two weeks of detention.

"Yep! This little lady got detention for fighting a classmate! She's lucky she wasn't expelled!"

"I didn't fight him!" Now Emily's agitation was a match for her father's. "I just -"