A (Grand) Father-Daughter Date Night

Frank Reagan was never the type of person to beg, but desperate times called for desperate measures. As he stood in his office in One PP that Friday evening, looking out the window at the sprawling metropolis of New York City, a part of him didn't want to accept what the person on the other end of the phone was saying.

"Are you positive?"

"Yes Dad, I'm sure," a frazzled Erin replied. "One of the other ADA's had her baby a month premature, so she's on maternity leave and I'm saddled with her casework, on top of my own." Almost pulling her hair out, she leaned back in her office chair and stared at the piles and piles of manila folders, almost as tall as her, currently holding her desk hostage. "I've got a case going to trial on Monday, and I'm not even done with the briefing yet. I doubt I'll be able to dig myself out of this for at least another week."

"Well, now what am I supposed to do?"

"I don't know," she sighed in frustration. "What about Linda?"

"No, no, she's working the night shift at St. Victor's this whole week. Trust me, I tried."

"Detective Baker then?"

"She's part of my detail, I can't go with her! Besides, she always partners with Garrett for these events."

"Look Dad, I'm sorry, but I can't help you." Erin was beginning to grow frustrated, not specifically with her father, but rather with the fact that she was in the middle of a highly overwhelming day of work that seemed as though it would never end. "I know you need someone to join you for the Police Foundation's Gala, and I know it's last minute for me to bail on you, but I don't really know who else to suggest."

"What about Nicky or Emily? Or do you think they're too young for an event like this?"

Erin paused to consider the suggestion, before replying. "I mean, they're both mature enough to go, in my opinion, but Nicky can't make it. She's still running a fever, and I'm probably going to have to book an appointment for her tomorrow or something, because this stomach bug is not going away on its own. I'd call Linda and ask about Emily, if I were you. I'm sure she'll give the okay, and I know Emily would love to join you. I've got to run now Dad, the defense is here to try to cut another deal. Talk to you later, okay? Good luck!"

"Love you sweetheart."

"Love you too, Dad."

And with that, Frank let out a sigh and sat down in his chair, letting his eyes settle on the family portrait in its frame on his desk. He wondered how he managed to get himself into such a mess, before remembering that he didn't do anything. Erin was the one who cancelled on being his date to the New York City Police Foundation's annual fundraising gala, not him. Obviously he didn't blame her, but he didn't like leaving things to the last minute. The gala was tomorrow night, so he really hoped that Emily would be willing to accompany him, because if not, he'd have to go solo and leave an empty seat at the table, which he never really liked to do.

And with that thought, he dialed Linda's number.

It was no surprise that Linda would give her permission, and even less of a surprise that Emily would enthusiastically agree. She spent most of her Saturday getting ready for the evening, curling and styling her hair and painting her nails. Luckily she already had a dress from her homecoming dance, so she didn't have to panic and go shopping last minute. Dressed in a glittery floor-length burgundy gown with off-the-shoulder sleeves and lace detailing, with nail polish to match, she put the finishing touches on her makeup and ran downstairs, just as her mom was calling her name. "Emily! I need to get to work! You have two minutes to get down here or I'm leaving without you!"