So... Plan B? ~ Part 2

Frank discretely checked his watch for the fifth time in the past half hour. It wasn't that he didn't like these meetings, he knew how important they were to ensuring that the different precincts were all running smoothly. He needed to know of any problems so he could address them as quickly as possible, so that they could serve and protect the people of New York. No, he was impatient to leave because he knew that his grandchildren would be coming any minute. They might even be here now, he thought to himself. They're probably sitting with Baker, driving her crazy with questions. He had to stifle a laugh at that thought. He knew that she wouldn't interrupt his meeting just because they had arrived, so he hoped to himself that this could wrap itself up quickly.

He didn't have to worry about that fact for much longer because, to his surprise, Baker popped her head into the meeting room adjacent to his office.

"Sorry to interrupt sir, but I have your grandkids in your office."

He was confused as to why Baker had interrupted the meeting to say so; she'd never done that any other time that his grandchildren, or even his children, visited during a meeting. But then he really looked at her. Her lips were firmly pressed together and her eyes flashed, as if to say, You need to take a look at this.

He stood up and sighed, adjourning the meeting which had already been nearing its conclusion. "Sorry for the interruption, gentlemen," he said to the Police Chiefs that were sitting around his table. "But you know how it is, family calls." They nodded and began to pack up their notes, while he stepped out of the room and into his office.

He was immediately swarmed by three pairs of arms wrapping around him, sniffling as they hugged him.

"Grandpa, it was awful." Sean's voice was muffled against his jacket, but the words made Frank's blood turn to ice. As he wrapped his arms around Jack, Sean, and Nicky, he realized that someone was missing. He stepped out of the hug and looked down at the panicked faces of his grandchildren. He tried not to let the fear or confusion show in his face or in his voice as he turned to Nicky and asked her, "Where's Emily?"

Nicky took a deep breath and repeated the same three words she had said to Detective Baker outside of the elevator:

"Emily's been kidnapped."

The words seemed to echo throughout the silent office. It was as if time was standing still. Clocks stopped ticking, the Earth stopped moving, and Frank stopped breathing.

"Emily's been kidnapped."

He let out a sigh and sank into the sofa, his hand over his mouth, his eyes fixed on the vase of flowers on the coffee table. He took a moment to process what Nicky had said, and plan out his next moves. Emily, he thought. Not Emily, not my family, please don't do this to me. Steeling himself, he lifted his head again and fixed his eyes on his other granddaughter.

"Tell me everything."

Nicky recounted the events of the last fifteen or so minutes, facing both her grandfather and Detective Baker. He nodded along as she spoke, before turning to his detective.

"Baker, could you take the kids to get some water, please? Oh, and could you get the first aid kit for Sean too? I need to make a few phone calls." She nodded and left the room, her heels clicking with each step as the kids followed behind her. A sad smile settled on her face as she walked. She knew that the Commissioner wasn't sending her away to do secretarial work. She knew him better than anyone, except his family, that is. She knew that he was struggling to hold himself together. He needed to stay strong for Nicky and the boys, and that it would be just a bit easier to deliver the bad news without the kids present.