Career Day

Requested by catastrophiqu on FFN.  Let it be known, I have no clue if this is how parent day is supposed to go, or if high schools even have parent days... I was homeschooled since second grade, everyday was parent day for me XD

Also- regarding the last chapter. I just want to make it clear that I have no medical experience at all, especially with COVID-19. So everything that I wrote was based on medical journals/articles that I found online. I'm not saying that irl people will face organ failure when they are Peter's age and as healthy as he is, this is fiction so the events happening are extremely exaggerated. It would be a pretty boring chapter if Peter just had a cold... So while the chapter is based on real life events, please no one take it seriously as it happening to yourselves.

Peter slowly walked up the steps of Midtown, head lowered and shoulders hunched. He tried to make himself seem as small as possible through the crowds of people, more so than normal. He could barely squeeze by in the halls, and the extra noise of chatter almost had him running for cover instead. 

He hated career day...

It was supposed to be about helping students to decide what they wanted their future career to be, especially since high school was the 'critical years' for such things. And with Midtown being  a math and science school, a lot of the students had really smart or powerful parents, so the school did the best they could to get everyone's parents to show up and help the students decide which path they should take for the future...

At least, that's what it was supposed to be about. It was really just a day for parents to compete with each other and their kids to brag about how great their parents were. Not to mention how much more impossible and annoying Flash became when his mom would stop by. It was horrible, the only good part being that it was a half day and he was free by lunch. The event itself should be banned or... or something. It wasn't fair to kids like Peter... 

Though... Peter really couldn't call himself an orphan now that Loki was in his life, but they had agreed to keep that revelation a secret between only close friends. So ultimately, Peter was still by himself. He would have told May and asked her to come, but she had been pulling doubles all week and this was her first break in so long, he just couldn't bring himself to drag her out of the apartment for something like this.

Stopping near his locker, Peter frowned. A horde of adults were blocking a section of lockers just where Peter needed to be. Lovely... He stood there for a short time, debating if he really needed to get to his locker. But in the end, he had books in there that he would need for his first few classes and would have no choice but to go through the crowd - or risk detention.

"Excuse me," He muttered, ducking between two men. He maneuvered a bit excessively, but managed to sandwich himself between an older woman and the wall of lockers. He opened his locker a crack, all that he could in the space provided, and pulled out one textbook at a time. He was careful, making sure to grip the books tightly so none would fall and cause a scene.

He had just pulled the last book out when an elbow slammed into the door of his locker, forcing it shut with a loud clang. Peter winced as he heard the woman curse loudly, looking up at the group that now had their full attention on him.

"What are you doing back there, kid?" The woman that slammed her elbow asked, holding the joint with a vice grip. "Not doing anything naughty, are you?" 

They all laughed as Peter let out an uncomfortable chuckle, shaking his head. "No, ma'am, just getting my books."

"Oh, you should have just told us to move then!"