Nightmares

Peter woke up with a yell, clutching at his chest as he struggled to pull air into his lungs. His body was so cold that it burned, every nerve felt numb. He gasped for air but it felt like his lungs were frozen, not expanding to fill with the substance that he needed most.

He needed a grounding but his eyes darted around his room to quickly to find anything. His mind was jumping from too many topics to properly think of a grounding method. He was stuck in a loop of panic and pain and he couldn't breathe, oh God he couldn't breathe-

In the frantic movement of his hands trying to grip his chest, he brushed right down the middle of his burn and sent a sharp pain through his body that completely cleared his mind. His body was almost thrown back by the pain, his head crashing back against his pillow so quickly that it took more than a moment to regain his bearings.

Drawing in a deep breath, he was finally able to register the oxygen in his lungs and slowly calmed down. With the calming of his mind though, the pain in his chest became more prominent. 

Cursing under his breath, Peter slowly pushed himself out of bed. He needed to find the pain meds that Dr. Banner had prescribed him or his night would get a whole lot worse... 

Stumbling clumsily out his bedroom door, he walked down the hall towards Loki's kitchen. The Compound was still being rebuilt, which is where he would have stayed with a wound like his, so Dr. Banner and Mr. Stark had agreed it would be best that Peter stay with Loki while he healed and set up quite a good bit of medicine for him there. But why couldn't Loki be a normal person and have his medicine in the bathroom? Not the kitchen... He had to deal with the stairs because of that.

Letting out a small sigh as he stood at the top of the stairs, Peter wondered for a second if he would be able to just jump down to the bottom floor... But he quickly tossed that thought aside; he could hardly walk straight, there would be no way he could land a jump - especially one that wouldn't wake up Loki.

So he took a breath and slowly started to climb down the stairs. He learned very fast that while his mind seemed awake, his body was definitely not. More than once he found himself tilting to the side and had to stop walking  and wait for his world to level out again. The throbbing-burning in his chest was absolutely not helping either.

But he eventually made it to the kitchen without further injury, his eyes set on the cabinets above the stove. Why Loki insisted on keeping it in those cabinets, he would never understand. It would have been just as fine in one of the drawers in the counter. Though he realized a dilemma once he got there...

Because of the burn on the left side of his chest, he couldn't raise his arms high enough to reach the cabinet. His maximum limit was just under halfway without pain, but that was no where near high enough. If only his healing factor would work just a bit faster... He was much better than before, considering he couldn't even sit up for his first four days with the wound and was completely reliant on those around him for his basic needs - which was humiliating. Magical burns were so much harder to deal with than normal burns...

Glaring at the cabinet with all the hatred he could muster, Peter stood there for a minute debating what he could do. Shooting a web at it was out of the question mainly because he left his web shooters in his room... He could always climb onto the counter and open it normally from there, but he would have to bend backwards a bit to avoid the cabinet. There was an option of moving one of the island stools and standing on that, but he didn't know if he could keep his balance long enough to get the medicine and climb down... 

The stool seemed to be his best option though, the pulsing pain in his chest beginning to reach unbearable levels that called for near desperation judgment. So he grabbed the stool and pulled it over with his slightly better arm; sitting on it, he brought his knees up to his chest and planted his feet on the seat. Slowly, carefully, he stood up, his legs shaking slightly as he held on to the back of the chair.