It's the opposite of hate

Oscar had just finished writing a message to the Village you were supposed to get married to, he plops the pencil down on the desk and sighs, it was late. You and Hiccup were leaving in the morning. You had spent the rest of the day letting villagers get to know your dragons, a lot of them were too scared but the ones who did, were amazed. Oscar lets out a yawn, scratching his thick beard. Mystique and Toothless were downstairs with him. They wouldn't fit in your room but you had to trust your family, and you knew if anything happened, Mystique wouldn't hesitate to roar the place down. Oscar turns to her, she's laying down, head on the floor looking up at him, her bright dilated yellow eyes observing him "you really are her best friend, eh?" He whispers, she blinks slowly and lets out a soft coo. Shuffling on his chair makes her lift up her head, Toothless was laying beside her, head resting on her back, he peeks an eye open when he feels her move, Mystique is still cautious of him. You had shown your father how to show dragons you don't mean any harm with the hand. He hadn't done it yet though. He wouldn't admit it but getting his hand too close to a dragons mouth was terrifying.
Pushing his fear aside, he stretches his arm out slowly, Mystiques nostrils flaring as she sniffs his hand then presses her snout against it. Oscar gasps as the dragons warm breath tickles his skin. She opens her eyes starring intently at him, not in a threatening way, they were communicating. Oscar smiles slightly, Mystique lets out a small, gentle groan then lays her head back down, closing her eyes again, Toothless shuffles to rest his head next to hers. Oscar stares at them for a moment, cuddled up on the floor.
He decides to head off to bed and send the letter in the morning, he quietly goes up the stairs, at the top he notices your door was open, he tiptoes over to close it, but decides to check on you and Hiccup first.
He peeks inside to see you both on your bed, you were facing away, curled up to Hiccups chest, one of his arms propped up so he was leaning on his elbow, resting his head against his hand, his other arm lazily rubbing up and down your back as he fought to stay awake. He smiles sleepily before leaning in and kissing your forehead. You stir slightly, subconsciously snuggling closer "I'm meant every word of my promise, I will always protect you, I love you (y/n)." He whispers, Oscar feels his heart tug in his chest. He really did love you. He watches as Hiccup slowly slides his arm under the pillow your head was resting on and laying down, closing his eyes, sighing contently.

—————

Morning comes around. You had just finished breakfast and you were nearly ready to go "got everything?" Hiccup asks "yeah, I think so." You gaze round at your room again "I'm glad my parents finally see sense." You whisper, Hiccup steps in front of you, reaching his arms out round your waist resting his hands on your lower back, linking his fingers together, you place your hands on his chest "me too." He looks at you with a warm smile, a deep blush paints your cheeks, he chuckles softly. Neither of you speak, you just stand there, gazing at each other, you could see the sparkle in his bright green eyes, the crinkles forming around them as his smile slowly got wider. He closes his eyes, pressing his forehead against yours, his warm breath sending goosebumps up all over your body, he tilts his head up connecting your lips together, it was soft, meaningful, he lifts one of his arms, his hand gently cups your cheek, thumb stroking your skin. you felt like you could just melt then and there. He pulls away slowly, not opening his eyes, his long lashes resting against the top of his soft cheeks. God, he was beautiful.
An awkward cough makes your head snap round to the door to see Toby stood here, disgust on his face "uh...mum and dad want to see you." He scratches the back of his head while walking away muttering something to himself, you roll your eyes and pick up one of the bags, Hiccup trying not to burst out laughing "his face." He sniggers, face going red "he's a teenage boy, anything romantic grosses him out." You reply.
"Ahh, there you are!" Your father chirps as the two of you walk into the living room "I hear Toby interrupted an...intimate moment." He lets out a rumbly laugh as Toby makes a gagging noise "oh shut up Tobs, that will be you one day!" You tease, pinching his cheek "oh I can't wait." He replies, voice thick with sarcasm, swatting your hand away.
You give your final goodbyes to your family, it was weird. Having them sobbing at the fact you were leaving. You mount Mystique and Hiccup mounts Toothless who stretches out his wings. You take off into the sky, you couldn't help but look back as your island got smaller and smaller. Last time you left, you wouldn't dare look back, getting away was a wave of relief, but this time it hurt. More than you thought. You sigh and face forward again.

You couldn't have been happier to set foot on Berk again. After greeting Valka you went straight upstairs into the spare room, collapsing onto the bed, wrapping the covers around your body. You were exhausted, all you wanted was sleep.
"Everything alright?" Hiccup asks, you keep your eyes closed mumbling a quiet "mhmmm." He sits beside you "just tired." "I'm guessing you just want to be alone? It has been a lot for you." He whispers, running his fingers through your soft hair "yeah, sorry." You reply, he lets out a small hum "it's alright, sleep well." He leans down, kissing your cheek before leaving, closing the door behind him.
The thought of getting up the next morning was daunting. You didn't have the energy, or the mood to deal with people. You couldn't stop thinking about your family. A quiet knock on the door draws you out of your thoughts, a figure walks in, you couldn't make out who it was due to your eyes blurred and thick with sleep still. You'd been drifting in and out of consciousness for a few hours, your eyes slowly focus as the figure walks closer "hey Valka." You whisper, she smiles softly "are you feeling okay?" She asks "yeah, the whole thing with my family is still processing." You reply finally sitting up "it's good that everything got sorted though, a weight of those pretty shoulders of yours." She says with a chuckle "lets go to the hall, you need to eat, dear." She rubs your back as she speaks, you reluctantly agree, finally leaving your cocoon of safety.

"There she is!" Astrid cheers, embracing you into a tight hug "hey." You say weakly "you alright?" She raises an eyebrow "yeah, long trip is all." You smile, she takes your arm, leading you to the table, Valka following, you slump heavily into the seat, avoiding eye contact with Fishlegs, you yawn rubbing your tired eyes "we saw Hiccup earlier, he told us everything! We're so glad you and your family are on good terms now!" Snotlout beams, you smile again he leans over the table, rustling your already messy hair "can you not!" You groan, slapping his hand away "where is ol chiefy anyway?" Tuff questions "right here!" A voice makes you jump, Hiccup slides in beside you laughing, you slap his arm grumbling "rude, you know I'm jumpy!" He continues laughing, wrapping an arm round your shoulder "sorry, hunny." He finally breathes. You roll your eyes then finally look at Fishlegs, the two of you lock contact for a few seconds, you feel your face sink into sadness and you look back down at the table.
You were confused. Fishlegs was acting so strange with you. It was like he didn't like you, you didn't know why though. You really enjoyed his company, he was a good friend to you, it was very bothersome.
Snotlout coughs loudly, you look at him in confusion "so..." he lifts his hand pointing his finger between you and Hiccup "when are you two getting married?" The whole table goes silent, apart from Hiccup choking to death on some bread, Snotlouts mouth twitches up into a smile watching your face go red. "uh...Snotlout. I don't." Hiccup gasps, punching his chest then letting out a loud breath "oh come on." Snotlout rolls his eyes "we haven't even been dating that long." You squeak, your cheeks getting redder by the second, Valka lets out a soft chuckle, in the corner of your eye you notice Fishlegs clench his fists. What the hell was going on with him?
"Well when you do decide to tie the old knot, I shotgun best man!" Snotlout projects proudly "no way!" Tuff cuts in "I'm the man for that!" The two men glare at each other. Oh boy.

You were fed up, stomping along the village towards the docks, anger boiling, you were sick of the strange behaviour and there was no way you were putting up with it anymore "Fishlegs!" You yell, your voice deep and full of anger, the blonde freezes, slowly turning to you "hey..." you walk over to him, pushing him against a docked ship "what the hell is going on with you? You don't like hanging out with me, you barely look at me! What did I do wrong? Why are you suddenly repulsed by the sight of me?" Your fingertips slowly digging into the fabric of his shirt as you spoke, Fishlegs stutters, trying to speak, but failing "Fishlegs, please." You whisper, your voice softening instantly, he could hear the sadness in your words, guilt flushing through his body watching you slowly start to break "I don't hate you." He finally says starring deep into your eyes "why are you avoiding me?" You ask, he lets out a long sigh "it's the opposite of hate." You tilt your head, letting go of his shirt "I..." he squeezes his eyes shut, cheeks quickly turning red, suddenly gripping onto your arms, colliding his lips against yours.