Is this a Dream?

After we separated again last year, his memories kept me company. He was always by side though not physically but always in my mind.
I was happy. The hope of reuniting kept me going.
I also started a small nursery of my own. I planted all the beautiful flowers that reminded me of him. Roses, tulips and of course the symbol of our love- edelweiss.

I tried living one day at a time. He had somehow managed to prerecord messages again while we were in Switzerland. I got them once every few days. Sometimes I got a series of texts all together while some days they were sweet nothings. Both of them kept my heart together.
Some messages were a simple token of his love. In others, he narrated small stories of his life. Though it made me sad we couldn't do so in person, but even this was more than I could have hoped for.

We celebrated holidays together and seasons came and went by. It was finally December and Christmas was fast approaching with just two weeks to go. His messages were still coming through but at this time of the year, I missed him terribly. It had been a little over three months that we last met. My hands yearned to hold him and snuggle my head in his warm embrace.

Mother and Father were in the States for business. In all probabilities, I would get to meet them in the new year now. My older brother and sister-in-law were holidaying in the Philippines. As for my second older brother and his wife, they were rightfully serving their term in jail. Thinking about them suddenly filled me with anguish. They had gone to great lengths to see me die. Their hatred for me was so intense just because they wanted to take over the family business and my own company. Their thought made me feel like bile was rising in system.
I was about to lose myself in the anguish and hate when I suddenly remembered what he told me. Ri Jeong Hyeok had made me promise to keep only those in my heart who moved me and I loved them back. Not the one's who filled me with such sadness. Furthermore, it was almost Christmas eve. I shouldn't dwell on such negativity.
But I felt even more alone today. I gave everyone at the company week's time off for the holidays. My family was far away. Jeong Hyeok was not far but on the other side of the state border. The physical distance was not much but it was as good as being in a parallel universe. A lone tear escaped my eye.

I got up and went towards my balcony. I had decorated my Christmas tree this year, all by myself. A beautiful star twinkled atop it and all around swirled pictures of him and me together clipped with lights. I sat down beside it on the carpeted floor.

I looked at all our pictures from our rendezvous in Switzerland. I should have clicked more. But it is very difficult to capture how his eyes looked at mine in pictures. These moments have been photographed in my mind.

Just then I received his text message.
"Smile. It is Christmas eve."
I let out a small giggle. It was as if he could sense my sadness. I wiped away my tears and got up. I carried a bottle of soju, some pillows and a blanket and went to the balcony again.
Tonight, I will drink away my sadness as well as my happiness. Sadness because I missed him so much. Happiness because I knew he was thinking about me too.

I curled beside my Christmas tree. The night sky was glowing with stars and the moon shone brightly. I looked at it hoping he too would be looking above and thinking about us. I took a small sip of soju amidst drowning in thoughts.

It had been a couple of hours and the night was settling in deeply. I was too tipsy to get up and go to bed. Furthermore the floor was comfortable too. I slid down thinking I would get to bed in a couple of minutes after taking some rest here.

But I could feel myself floating away to a dreamland. Array of beautiful lights filled my dreams.

I felt a strong pair of hands in my dreams, holding me close. I smiled. It was going to be a beautiful dream but it would make me sad tomorrow when I wake up. Nonetheless, I slipped into it and fell asleep...

The soft sunlight hit my eyes. I mumbled and rolled over. And then I sat up with a jerk. I fell asleep in the balcony how could I wake up on my bed? Did I sleep walk here? The only ones who know my door passcode are my parents. Did they come back from the States?
"Mom? Dad? Are you here?" I called out. No answer. My heart skipped a beat. What if there is an intruder waiting to attack me. I slid down silently from my bed feeling stupid for shouting before. I creeped outside to the living room when I heard some clanking from the kitchen. My cell phone was still in the balcony across the kitchen.

I immediately picked up a brass flower vase and moved steadily towards the sound. Crouched like a cat I peeked into the kitchen.
What I saw there nearly gave me a heart attack. My fingers froze and the vase slipped from my hands. I shrieked and nearly fell over.

But he caught me in his arms. Dressed in a white long sleeved shirt and blue jeans, he was leaning and supporting me from falling down. Ri Jeong Hyeok was in my kitchen.
WHAT? HOW? Oh my God, this man will be the death of me someday. I was disoriented. He just gave me an amusing smile.

"Merry Christmas Se-Ri. I brought you a gift." He said, kissing the top of my head lightly and helping me stand up properly again.