Insurance

The next day came by at a pace faster than ever. Though the employees were given time off, I still have some important work to do.

During the time I was stranded in North Korea, my second older brother and his now ex-wife, bought quite a lot of shares of my company. Thankfully my mother bought some for herself too to safeguard my company. As soon as things settled and got back to as normal as they could, mother transferred her shared to my name. As of now, I am the largest stake-holder of Seri's Choice as it should be. But my brother is a close second and I need to secure those shares back before I enlist on KOSDAQ.

Since I plan on enlistment within the first week of the New Year, I hardly have a week left now. Things have been already set in motion for the acquisition but I need to hurry up the process. I cannot trust my brother and his ex-wife now that Ri Jeong Hyeok suspects them of some foul play. I started this company from scratch so I shall do anything to protect it from predators.

I get ready for a breakfast meeting with the board of directors. A few more meetings after that and then I have the evening all to myself. I plan on taking Ri Jeong Hyeok to a nice upscale restaurant today.

As I exit the kitchen, he is already there busy mixing some red type of red sauce in the pan. Quite a cook he is, I must say.

"Good morning Hyeok-ssi", I smile at him. "What are you busy with so early in the morning? Hope you had a good night's rest"

His eyes crinkle on seeing me and a soft smile spreads on his kind face deepening the dimples. "Good morning Se-ri. I had a good night. I see you have a busy day today?"

"Ah! Only till noon. I will be free by the evening. Be ready by 7, I was hoping we could go out for dinner."

"Sure!" He smiles brightly. "I will be waiting for you. Let me know the location I'll reach there by 7. Meanwhile I plan on keeping myself busy with the work that actually brought me here. Please don't worry about it though. There's no risk involved this time." He adds. My face must have shown fear. Last time such things didn't go out well. Ri Jeong Hyeok was stabbed, I got shot, he almost got killed on his way back in The North. Too much happened. The horrifying memories come crashing by.

He crosses the kitchen and holds my hands softly. "Se-Ri, I may not be serving in the army but I am still a soldier. I will be fine. Don't worry about me. Go ahead and have a wonderful day. We will catch up in the evening."

His words calmed me down slightly. The prospect of a nice evening together brought a small smile to my face. "Take care Hyeok-ssi. Call me if you need any help here. I have many resources here. And keep your phone close by so I can check where you are in case of emergency. I will call you as soon as I am done with work." I finish lightly and give him a small peck on his cheek. He smiles closes his eyes momentarily.

Ri Jeong Hyeok handed me a small box of tupperware. I laughed at its sight. He packed me breakfast so that I don't get hungry during the meetings. He is such a good man. Caring, passionate and has all the qualities of a good husband. I laugh at the thought. Of course he would make a very good husband. Though I doubt I will get to be his wife. The problem within us is insurmountable. No one can resolve State Border conflicts. I feel a pang of sadness at these thoughts. But now is not the time. I have other problems to deal with. The ones that I can actually solve and fully intend to today itself. I cannot jeopardise my company any further. I hurry towards my cabin eager to start work. I have a wonderful evening to look forward to.

The meetings were long and gruelling. We went over and over every little detail. I had my group of family lawyers to guide us through the process. The court date is set. I will be waging a legal war to get those stocks in two days from today. Before the year ends, I shall be the largest stakeholder of the company as before.

After meeting with the Board, I have another one with my insurance agent. He is a sweet little man and did a lot for me when I was missing. Usually my manager takes care of my insurance details but since he got married recently, I did not have the heart to call him to work. If not me, other's should get a chance to be with the ones they love.

The Insurance agent Lee Min looks a bit under the weather. His eyes are dull and he looks quite nervous today. I feel sorry for him. Everyone is enjoying the holidays but he had to work because of me.

"How are you doing Mr. Lee?" I ask trying to be as polite as possible. He has trouble meeting my eyes. Shifting nervously in his chair, he says "I am fine ma'am. Thank you. Let us go over a few new clauses of your insurance."

This takes me by surprise! We had to renew the contract not add new clauses!
"I don't understand. I was given a different agenda for this meeting. If new clauses have to be added, my lawyer has to be present here. I don't sign anything in his absence you know that." The colour of his face is getting paler by the minute. "Are you alright Mr. Lee? Is something bothering you?"

He looks absolutely horrified. At this point I have no clue what is happening.

"I am fine ma'am. Just a bit worried about my child. He's not well." His face grows sadder with each word. I feel sorry for him.
"Please take the day off. We can discuss the insurance agreement later on when everyone gets back from the holidays. It is still months from getting expired. Be with tour family."

"No!" He almost shouts. "I'm sorry ma'am, I would just like to finish my work. Sorry for keeping you here and wasting your time." He finishes, looking ashamed of his outburst.

But I understand his predicament. His child is sick. He is here rather than taking care of him. His frustration is justified.

"I know Mr. Lee that you would like to finish your work. But I consider you not only my employee but also my friend. Go home and take care of your child. As it is, I won't be signing without my lawyer." I finish calmly to make him at ease.

He breaks down at this. Tears flow from his eyes and I am at a loss. What is it? What is happening?

"Mr. Lee, do you need money for your child's treatment? I will make sure he gets the best treatment. Take him to my Father's Hospital. Please don't worry."

My words seem to have the opposite effect. He breaks down more and starts pulling his hair as if he is in tremendous pain. I cannot look at this any more.

"No ma'am you don't understand. If you don't sign this paper, my child is as good as dead."

I am at a loss. His words make no sense. What has my insurance got to do with his child's sickness. I try to get a grip on myself. "Please Mr. Lee, if there is a problem I want you to be honest about it. You know I will do whatever it takes to help a friend in need."

He wipes his nose on his sleeve and tries to straighten up.

"Your sister-in-law kidnapped my child. She has threatened to kill him."

Ri Jeong Hyeok was right. My head is spinning. She was on parole. Any illegal activity and she would be rotting away in jail forever. Yet she managed to pull off something like this without the authorities knowing anytime about this. That mad woman is not after my company. She is after my life.

I take out my phone to dial Ri Jeong Hyeok. We have another battle to fight now.