Cold

Going out boating was about your favorite thing to do. The cool breeze, wind whipping your hair, and of course, being able to stare at your favorite eye candy.

Said eye candy being JJ, your best friend.

You two were best friends and nothing more, but you both knew that there was something that was unsaid between you two. You looked at each other just a little too long to be just friends, and everyone knew it.

But, you had decided that you wouldn't be the first one to make a move, so it was basically up to JJ at this point to either tell you he was in love with you or you'd have to live your whole life without admitting to each other that you were head over heels in love with one another.

The day was warm and your pale purple bikini was the only thing you wanted to bring with you on the boat.

"I know you're warm right now but you're gonna get colder once we get out on the water, you should really bring a sweatshirt or something," JJ said, looking you up and down.

"JJ, I think I will die if I wear any more layers, it's so nice outside. Let's just go! I'll be fine."

He shrugged, reaching out a hand to pull you onto his boat. "Whatever you say princess."

Almost immediately as the boat took off, you felt the cold wind hit your bare skin. You tried to play it off, but JJ knew you were cold. It wasn't easy to hide goosebumps.

"I told you so," he said, smirking, his eyes hidden behind his aviator sunglasses.

"Whatever, I'll be fine," you sat down on the boat and tried to warm yourself up.

"Come over here idiot, I can't stand seeing you shiver when we're supposed to be having fun."

"What's calling me an idiot gonna help, stupid?" You questioned, standing up and walking over to where JJ is standing.

He slowly pulled his grey crewneck sweatshirt off, the t shirt underneath sliding up his abdomen slightly. You had to stop yourself from thinking of him in more than a friend way, because you knew once you started, you wouldn't be able to stop and that would make you frustrated.

"Here," he said, handing you his sweatshirt. "Put it on, please."

He needs to stop telling me what to do, it's ho--

You stop yourself, knowing that thinking that way would just make you fall harder.

You pull it over your body slowly, enjoying the smell of JJ's sweatshirt. Old Spice mixed with something you couldn't quite place.

Once you had the sweatshirt on, JJ moved his hands to your neck, under your hair. He slowly pulled out your hair from its previously tucked position in the sweatshirt. You couldn't help but hum when he did this, as it felt so nice to have his fingers run through your hair.

"Like that?" He whispered.

"Yeah," you whispered back, closing your eyes and leaning into his chest. He wrapped his arm around you as he steered the boat, taking you out farther.

Once you had got to a nice spot, you two just laid out on the deck.

"JJ?" You turned to face him, still laying down, cuddled into his sweatshirt.

"Hm?"

"Thank you."

He still had his eyes closed as he turned to you. "For what?"

"Giving me your sweatshirt."

He smiled, pausing a moment to think about how cute you looked in his sweatshirt. "You're welcome."

Your eyes started to water, so you squeezed them shut, hoping he wouldn't notice.

His voice still somewhat husky from waking up from his little nap, he spoke up. "What's wrong?"

"What?"

"Something's wrong," he said, scooting closer to you, wiping the wetness from your cheeks. "You're crying."

You scoffed, and tried to turn away from him but he pulled you closer to him.

"You're upset. Please tell me why."

You sighed, looking him in the eyes. "I can't be friends with you anymore."

At first, he felt like his whole world was falling apart. You didn't want to be friends anymore? What was he supposed to do without you? Without you being there when he would come to your house after his dad had an outburst? Without you being there to help him when he didn't understand something in school? When he just needed to be with someone?

"What?" He said softly.

You cupped his cheek with one hand and looked at his glassy eyes. "I can't keep on ignoring how I feel. How we feel."

JJ knew that you were talking about the fact that you two were whipped for each other even though you weren't even together.

"I know. I'm sorry. I should've told you sooner."

"I'm sorry, too. I should've told you sooner."

"Well, we're just a mess, huh?"

You laughed slightly. "All because I'm stubborn and wouldn't listen to you telling me to take a sweatshirt."

"I'm glad you didn't. It gave me an excuse to see you in mine."

You blushed, feeling hot all over.

"Maybe I don't have to bring a sweatshirt, you make me blush then I get all warm and tingly inside."

"Maybe you don't..." he trailed off, leaning closer to you as the sun set on the western horizon.