Make Daddy Proud

Being a kook was already dull. To add onto that, your parents were the wealthiest on the island, which made you Outer Banks royalty. Being the kook princess? Your life was full of fake people and doing anything and everything to impress your parents. You had to stay in line, your reputation depended on it. All your friends were basically hand picked by your parents, and you weren't allowed to stay out later than 10 or go to any parties.

The only party you were allowed to go to, however, was Midsummers.

Your hair had been put up in a beautiful updo, your makeup done perfectly. The long, light blue dress you wore was sure to make everyone stare. You took a look at yourself in the mirror, sighing to yourself as you thought of how shallow these events were. The last time you had been to Midsummers, you encountered a boy who was running from Rafe Cameron and his friends. You had wanted to do something, meet the handsome stranger, but he was too busy running, and you were too busy being the perfect daughter.

"You ready, hun?" Your mom called to you.

"Yeah mom, let's go," you said with slight sadness in your voice.

When you entered the party, it seemed like everyone stopped what they were doing to look at you. It was no secret that you were one of the prettiest girls on the island, but it did make you uncomfortable at times. Especially at crowded places like this. You eyes looked down, walking to the refreshments table quickly. You grabbed a cup of lemonade and starting taking sips of it.

"Hello beautiful," a voice rang out from behind you. "May I have this dance?"

You turned to face Rafe Cameron, holding a hand out to you. Every cell in your body wanted you to say no, but knowing that you needed to keep a good public figure and make your parents happy, you gave in. Giving him a forced smile, you nodded, allowing him to take your hand and lead you onto the dance-floor.

About five minutes in to dancing with Rafe, you were whisked away from him by your dad, who wanted to share at least one dance with you.

"You didn't look too happy over there, (Y/N)," you father stated.

You sighed, feeling guilty for looking unhappy. "I'm sorry, daddy. I didn't mean to look unhappy."

He laughed slightly. "I know sweetheart. you're under a lot of pressure for a young woman. Your mother and I appreciate everything you do."

You gave him a small smile, wishing that you could be a normal teenager, even just for one night.

As the night went on, you tried your best to avoid anyone and everyone, making up excuses to not talk or dance with someone. You eventually found yourself walking to the beach, shoes in your hand. One of the perks of Midsummers was that the beach was there for when you had finally had enough fake small talk for one night.

The wind whipped the few strands of hair left out of your updo in your face, tickling your nose. You watched the waves as they came and went, freely.

Everyone always thought you had it all. Money, beauty, power. But it was lonely. You felt trapped, being a puppet for the other fakes on the island to fawn over.

You heard a noise come from behind you, causing you to turn, fear coursing through your veins. You looked at the source of the noise. Said source was a tall blonde boy, standing behind you.

"All by your lonesome here? There's a party happening up there, sweetheart," the boy seemed oddly...familiar.

You stared at him for a second, thinking of what to say. "I just, got a little, um," you struggled to find an excuse for leaving, the real reason would ruin your perfect reputation.

He stared at you, beckoning for you to go on.

"Claustrophobic. Yeah, I got claustrophobic."

"As someone who lies often I can tell that was a total lie. Why are you really here?"

Your heart started to beat faster, wondering how this stranger could tell that you were lying to him, despite not even knowing who he was.

"Um," you scrambled, trying to figure out some way out of this conversation. "Uh, stranger danger. I shouldn't talk to strangers."

He laughed, stepping closer to you. "You know what? I like you. I'm JJ. And you, are kook royalty. Which is why I know you're not supposed to be here, you're supposed to be up there."

"How do you know who I am?"

"How could I not? Kook princess, (Y/N) (L/N), heiress to the (L/N) fortune."

You looked down, you had never been one to show off how much money you had. "I guess so."

"Why are you down here anyways? You rich folk love Midsummers, as kook royalty isn't it your job to love Midsummers and make us pogues feel bad about ourselves?"

You felt awful, even your presence was making this very attractive boy dislike you. "You cannot tell anyone what I am about to tell you. Got it?"

He nodded. "Heard you loud and clear."

"I've never liked Midsummers. The whole thing is just rich people showing off to rich friends how much money they have. Then, I get stuck dancing with boys I wouldn't be caught dead with."

"No fun being the hottest girl here, huh?" He smirked, coming closer to you.

"The only time I've ever had fun here was last year, this blonde kid was absolutely high tailing it to get away from Rafe Cameron and his friends. I wanted to help, distract Rafe so the boy could get away, but I knew if I got in the way, my parents would find out and be upset with me."

The boy-JJ-looked at you, his smirk growing into a smile. "Blonde kid, huh? You didn't try to stop Rafe all because you wanted to make daddy proud?"

You nodded, the feeling of shame overwhelming you.

"What if I told you," he said, coming in close to whisper in your ear. "I was that blonde kid."

Your eyes widened, and you looked back up at JJ. It was him. The boy from last year.

"How-how did you--"

"Shhhh," he shushed you, placing a finger on your lips. "It's classified."

You smiled, happy to finally know who the boy was. "Thank you for giving me the only Midsummers I've ever enjoyed. Heck, the only party I've enjoyed."

He looked at you funny, shaking his head. "Have you never been to a real party before?"

You shook your head in embarrassment. Great, you thought to yourself, now this hot pogue thinks I'm a boring old kook.

"Wanna change that?" He asked you, reaching his arm out for you to take. You cautiously looped your arm around his, feeling more dangerous by the second. You suddenly thought of what would happen if your parents found out.

"I-I can't..."

JJ sighed. "Come on, (Y/N). It's just one night. Tell them you went over to some chick's house for a sleepover. Everyone will be too hungover to care tomorrow anyways."

You bit the inside of your lip, thinking about the punishment you'll receive if you get caught. "Alright, I'm in. But JJ?"

"Hm?" He hummed in response.

"Aren't I a little overdressed?" You motioned to the flowy dress you were wearing and small flower crown adorning your fancy hair.

"Well, yes, but you're hot, so nobody's gonna care," he said as he handed you a motorcycle helmet. "Put it on."

"You want me to ride this dirtbike, with you?" You questioned.

"Duh. How else we getting there?"

You pulled the helmet over your head as you hopped on the back of his dirtbike, circling your arms around his torso, holding on tight.

"What am I getting myself into?" You whispered to yourself.

"Welcome to pogue life, princess."