Attention

It was a warm day and you and the pogues had been hanging out on the boat for a few hours. 

"Alright, we've spent enough time just sitting here, let's swim!" John B said, diving into the water. JJ pulled his t shirt off, as did Pope, and followed after John B. Kiara jumped in once she took off the pair of jean shorts she was wearing. 

You watched as the boys watched Kiara carefully. You and Kiara were very close, and you weren't jealous of Kiara, just the attention from boys she got. It seemed that the guys were always drooling over her, while you were only seen as one of the guys. 

You were deep in thought, finishing off your cheerwine while everyone else had fun in the water. 

"Coming, Pebbles?" The Pogues and about everyone on the island called you that, you were known as the sweetheart of the Cut and were always looking out for others. Your head turned to John B, who was looking at you, still fully clothed, on the boat. 

"Not today, I'm having a good hair day, and I don't want to ruin it."

"Yeah, JB, she wants to cherish those as much as she can, considering they only come once in a blue moon," JJ remarked. 

You scoffed, trying to play it off that JJ's comment didn't actually make you want to break down and cry your eyes out. 

"Come on! Water's warm!" Kiara pleaded.

Your throat felt like it had closed, and you tried to sound as normal as possible. "I've actually got a stomach ache, I think I'll go back inside, could you take me to the dock JB?" 

"Probably from all the food you ate earlier at the Wreck, I've never seen a girl eat like that!" JJ laughed. 

You chose to pretend you didn't hear him, his words hitting home. It was hard to dislike the body you had, even though you were healthy. It was especially hurtful coming from JJ, who you've had a thing for since you first became friends. The guys never talked about Kiara's eating habits, why did they have to come for yours?

John B and you rode in silence back to the dock. You hopped off the boat, wishing to get somewhere where you could be alone as quick as possible. You practically ran to the doors of the chateau, running into John B's room and throwing yourself face down on the bed. You held a pillow to your face as you tried to muffle your cries, not wanting to hear yourself cry. JJ always picked on you and always made fun of the things that made you the most insecure. It seemed the only attention JJ ever gave you was to insult you. 

After about a half hour of crying in John B's room, you got up to get water from the kitchen. You saw yourself in the mirror in John B's room, and looked at the t shirt you were wearing. You ripped your t shirt off, grabbing one from his closet and pulling it on. You just wanted to hide in the fabric, and since it was so big, it was perfect. 

After getting some water, you decided you would cut up some fruit for once everyone got back. You grabbed some fruit and started cutting it. Once you finished, you dumped the fruit into a bowl on the table. You grabbed some lemonade from the fridge, setting it on the table along with some cups. You heard voices coming closer, so you walked out the back door, hopping on your bike, hoping they wouldn't notice you leaving. You started pedaling, trying to get away from the house as fast as possible. 

"Where are you going?" Someone shouted at you. 

You looked back, not stopping your bike. John B stood outside of the chateau, his hair still damp and him still shirtless. "Just going home to lie down, I don't feel great. I'll see y'all later."

"Look, Pebbles, I'm sorry about what he said, but it's JJ, you can't let things he says get to you!" 

You pedaled faster, pretending you didn't hear John B. You had started to grow to hate the name that everyone called you, all because it was JJ who started calling you that. It had started when you moved to the obx in fourth grade, you were quiet and nervous around all the new people, so you would stand on the patch of dirt that was littered with pebbles away from the playground during recess. JJ had noticed, and called out to you, and since he didn't know your name, he called you Pebbles Girl. It stuck, and now everyone just called you Pebbles.