Yale

Being a borderline kook wasn't ideal. You were certainly not poor, but your family didn't have as much money as the other kooks did. You never really fit in with the kooks, and the pogues didn't seem to like the fact that you were basically a kook. You still went to the public high school, so it was hard for you to make friends. But you were able to make one friend, which led to you getting 3 more.

Pope Heyward was your best friend. You two had been inseparable ever since the first day of freshman year, so you were in with his group purely by association. You and Pope were definitely the brains of the operation, both of you being in all AP and Honors classes, and actually coherently thinking most of the time. Pope was going to be a coroner, and you weren't 100% certain on what you'd do. You were a member of the mock trial team at Kildare County High School, and the best lawyer on the team. So, when you came back from the competition getting multiple awards for how good of a lawyer you were, your parents had a sit-down with you.

"(Y/N)," your mom said. "Your father and I have been talking, and we'd like to know what your plans for the future are. You seem to have a lot of success in mock trial, so, is that something you'd like to do? We both think you would be a great lawyer, you're very smart and you are capable of whatever you put your mind to."

"Well, I mean I guess I've thought about becoming a lawyer, but I'm just not sure. It's a really competitive field, what if I fail?"

Your father looked at you with kindness in his eyes. "(Y/N), you are the most hard working, intelligent, motivated girl we've ever known. We know you would thrive. Believe in yourself, sweetheart!"

Ever since you had that conversation with your parents a year ago, you worked harder and harder every day. You quickly became the one John B, Kie, and JJ would come to whenever they needed help with something school related. Even Pope would ask you for help, but usually after he had gotten done explaining something you didn't understand to you.

The fall of senior year came very quick, and on the first day of school, you sent all of your applications out to various schools.

The waiting process was hard. You constantly worried that the schools you had applied to wouldn't accept you.

Days passed, and so did the weeks, your anxiety about college worsening the sooner decisions would be coming in the mail.

You had invited the pogues over to your house for dinner, wanting to do anything that would distract you from the fear of not getting accepted. You heard the doorbell ring, and saw all of them standing outside on your front porch.

"Hey guys!" You greeted cheerfully, smiling at your best friends. "Come in, come in!" You ushered them inside.

JJ had some papers in his hands, and spoke up. "Hey, we got your mail, the mailbox was open and we didn't want your mail to get blown away or anything." He handed you the stack of envelopes.

You dropped the cup you were holding, the drink spilling to the floor. Your eyes scanned the letters you couldn't believe you were seeing. In the top left corner of the envelope, the words Yale University were printed. The pogues looked at you with worry in their eyes, thinking something bad had happened.

JJ was the first to speak. "What's wrong? Is everything okay?"

Your eyes turned to the group of teenagers in front of you.

"It's from Yale," you breathed out. "I-I don't know if I can open it. What if I didn't get in?"

Pope looked at you, happiness in his voice. "Open it!"

You set the other various envelopes down on table. Your fingers slowly opened the envelope. You read the words carefully and slowly, wanting to delay the disappointment you were thinking was to come.