8 ° The boat

PoV Leyla

We started eating and remained silent. I took a look over the table. It seems to  taste everyone.

"And? Did you set the tent up?" Asked Isabel. "Yes. I set up the tent. It was super easy." Said Nook and it seemed as if he was attacking Redd passively aggressive.

"What do you mean? Didn't Redd help you?" Isabel asked confused. I didn't quite understand either.

"Yes, but it didn't do much. At the end, I did everything by myself." He said and continued eating.

I looked at Redd. His eyes were on the plate and he stopped eating. "At least he tried. After all, he is also not a craftsman. He's an artist." I defended him. ,,I am not a crafts-" - "So what? But you didn't set up a tent for the first time, did you?" He said nothing.

I continued eating. "How about Mr. Nook and I clear out the boat while Leyla introduces you to our residents? Then you don't have to do it yourself!" Isabel suggested and smiled sweetly.

He looked up in shook. "Wait what?! I would like to do it myself! It is not necessary that you take over this.." He spoke in panic and looked at her with big eyes.

"Redd, haven't you been taught not to refuse help?" Said Tom in a deep voice. He looked at him. "Yes, b-but I would like to do th-" - "No buts. We'll do that and now silence." Redd looked down intimidated.

I knew exactly why Tom didn't reject Isabels suggestion. He wanted to look inside the boat by himself. After all, he didn't saw it from the outside or the inside.

I assume that Redd is uncomfortable with the condition in which he left his boat. All the empty bowls, the clothes that were on the floor behind the door because he didn't have time to clean up. The unmade bed and the tiny bathroom, which hasn't been cleaned in a while.

I don't think it's embarrassing for him infront of Isabel. I think he's more worried because of Tom getting a worse impression of him than he already has.

---

When the last plate was in the sink, Mr. Nook and Isabel made their way to his boat. Redd didn't look enthusiastic. However, was too shy to say anything. Also after Nook snapped on him earlier he didn't wanted to demonstrate.

I did the dishes. I only heard Redd sigh. "What's going on?" He looked up. "I don't feel comfortable with Nook and Isabel walking around in my boat."

"Why is that so?" I asked playing dumb. Of course I knew why.

"I just don't want the two of them to have to clean up my things. And to be honest, I'm pretty embarrassed that there is so much garbage in there." He was embarrassed and looked away.

"Oh don't worry about it. Mr. Nook needs to do some physical work. He's always in this stupid town hall. He never goes for a walk. I put so much effort into the design of the island and then he doesn't even look at the island! I don't think he was in the corner where your boat is, even once..."

"Yes.. He has always worked very hard and has always been stubborn when it comes to work.." Redd was lost in thought and stared at the table.

I continued to wash the dishes.

---

PoV Tom Nook

With Isabel I made my way to Redds boat. I'm really curious to see if it's really as bad as Leyla described.

"Have you already been on this side of the island?" Isabel asked me pulling me out of my thoughts. "No, I've never been here before. Pretty."

"Down here." She pulled out her ladder and climbed down. I held onto her ladder so it's more stable for her. I then climbed down and spoted the boat. It rattled and was quite loud. .

"Come on.." Together we went in. We went down the stairs and we were standing in a small room.

There were paintings on metal grids and a large statue smiled at us. The light was dimmed and no music was playing. To our right was a table on which were empty ramen bowls. So far it didn't look that bad, to be honest.

"Why does he have to send us the paintings if he has them here?" She wondered. I walked to a painting and touched it. I knew it. 

"Because it's made of paper. He printed them out. I hope he'll send us the original paintings." Isabel looked worried. If Leyla found out, she wouldn't be so sure about Redd anymore.

We continued to look around. I opened the only door on the boat. Behind it I discovered an even smaller room which had clothes all over the floor. I opened the door further.

There was a broken camp bed. This was only held together with tape. There was another door in the corner of the room. The boat is bigger then i thought.

I entered and looked around a little further. A dresser was in here too. There were 3 picture frames on it.

I picked up the first one and a picture of Redd and his mother appeared. A nice woman. Redd had an arm around her shoulder and grinned at the camera. I caught myself smiling. His mother smiled too and had her hands together. She was quite a bit shorter than her son. The picture appears to be a bit older since Redd looked really young. Was probably made at the time we came together.

I put it back and took another one. It was a picture of Redd and a painting. I don't know why he framed it and why someone took a picture of it at all. Weird..

The last picture faced the dresser, so that I could not see the picture.

---

[952 words]

I think we all know what is on the last picture xD It's waay to obvious