23

We drove for a long time, going nowhere. We reached a rural area and decided to dump the bike. "We're in Andong, I think." Nicolas said. "It's another city."

"How far from...where were we? Seoul?"

He nodded and pulled us through the silent and lonely streets. He hadn't let go of my hand since we left the motorcycle. "We need to call Gabriel. Make sure they made it out."

Gabriel and Ash must have retreated. I hope they did. I told them to.

"I don't have a phone. Do you?"

He shook his head at me. "Maybe we can ask someone. Come on." He pulled us along.

After what felt like hours of walking, we made it to the center, where all the homes were. I didn't say a word, Nicolas either. I just followed him as he pulled us forward. No one really looked at us; I was thankful for that. We stopped in front of a small corner in a little market in front of a young girl sitting on a basket. She had a crate of fruits next to her, but, more important than that, a phone in her hand.

"안녕하세요." Just imagine the dramatic way in which my mouth dropped when I heard him speak. (Hello.)

The girl looked up and looked taken aback. I felt like I knew what Nicolas was doing, so I took a step back and let him work the girl. "안녕." She bowed her head and smiled back, eyes kind.

"언니와 나는 길을 잃었다. 전화 좀 빌려 주시겠습니까? 제발." Still, I smiled at the way his Italian accent mixed with the foreign words. It made them sound oddly charming. (My sister and I got lost. Could you lend me your phone? Please.)

The girl looked to me and smiled, bowing her head slightly. She looked around and back at Nicolas, who, by the way she smiled shyly, surely gave her a charming smile. Those of his that could just kill you right then and there. I nearly leaned forward to get a glimpse of it, but managed to keep myself rooted to my spot.

"알았어, 문제없어. 들어오시겠습니까?" She smiled at him shyly again before clearing her throat. Wow, he was good. The girl didn't have a chance against him. I bet he told her some bullshit like we're related or something to keep me out of the picture so she could fantasize. (Okay, no problem. Would you like to come in?)

Sex appeal was a wonderful thing.

"정말?" He seemed surprised. "고마워, 그럴게."

He turned to me. "She asked if we wanted to come in. I said yes. She's gonna lend us her phone."

I nodded, "perfect. We should call our phone number. Make sure they are okay."

He nodded and we walked inside. The girl gave us her phone and I dialed the number. When the other side picked up, it wasn't the voice I was expecting.

"We have your men...again. I'll give you three hours to come to a direction I will send over text message. You won't want to be late." Myung hung up before I could say a single word.

***

We didn't even have time to fully reach the direction they were taking us because we were ambushed five minutes away. Full spectacle. Guns pointed at our head, cars surrounding us, lights blinding us, all that jazz. It was starting to get repetitive.

Nicolas and I didn't protest as they hauled us into the cars and drove away. I didn't bother trying to figure out where we were going because they made no effort to hide it from us, which could only mean the place is meaningless. We didn't leave the rural are. There were no signs of city where we were going. After a long time, we entered a forest type territory. I felt the hairs in my arms and neck stand. I don't like places like these.