29

"I figured I'd find you here." Nicolas' voice appeared behind me, his arms wrapping around my waist not long after. "What are you doing up so early?"

I leaned my head back into his shoulder and sighed. Everything feels suffocating lately. "I just wanted some fresh air."

His arms around me tightened a little and he kissed the skin on my neck. "How's Vee?" I asked.

"Resting. She's been taking a lot of alone time. I don't want to bother her, but I can't help but feel worried. What she went through... traumatic isn't enough to cover it." My chest pained at the agony in his voice. The desperation.

"Give her a little time," I looked to his face. He was staring ahead, enjoying the view of the territory from the rooftop. "She needs to understand herself and process everything by herself for a little while. She trusts you more than anyone. She'll come to you when she's ready. She's a strong girl."

He didn't say anything back, simply stared ahead of him. I did the same, letting my mind think nothing for as long as I could.

"I heard you're our new Capo." At his words I shrugged him off, feeling annoyed. He said it like he knew it'd tick me off.

"Apparently. I don't want to talk about that right now."

He grabbed my hand, frowning at the distance I put between us. "I think you'll do fine. Why are you worrying so much about it?"

I glared at him. "I said I don't want to talk about it, Nicolas."

His face shifted into slight annoyance. "What do you want to talk about then?"

"Nothing. I wanted to talk about nothing. Exactly why I came here alone."

His mouth fell open slightly, incredulity coming over his features. "I'm sorry," he remarked sarcastically. "I'll hesitate to make conversation with you next time. Anything else bothering you?"

"You're being childish."

"And you're being standoffish."

"Is this what you came here for, Nicolas? To pick a fight? If it is, I'll take a rain check."

He took a step back and shook his head, pure disbelief in his face. "Actually, I came here to spend some time with you. Maybe sit down and catch up. I wanted to seek the comfort of my girlfriend after all this time."

"Girlfriend?" I asked, maybe a little too mockingly. "You and I never said anything about that. I said try. Never said we were going anywhere deep."

"I thought we couldn't take it slow, Anastasia. What? You can apply that whenever you want something and take it away whenever it comes to me?"

I rolled my eyes, crossing my arms in front of my chest. "If you feel so victimized, what the fuck are you doing here?"

"Why do you always do this?" He asked, angered.

"Do what?" I suddenly felt defensive.

"Whenever you're scared of feel weak, you push people away and hurt them to make yourself feel stronger. To put yourself at a higher place. I wanted to help you, not attack you. Why do you always have to push me away?"

I didn't answer him, letting the anger expel itself in heavy breaths rather than words.

"You push and push and push until we're so far apart that we become desensitized to the fucked up ways you and I deal with all this bullshit! What do you gain from hurting me? From hurting yourself? Do you even want to do this? Do you even want to try anymore!"