33

Mateo was already waiting outside the warehouse by the time we got there. I left Nicolas inside the car and got out, the gift box in my hands. "Where is everybody?"

"I didn't let your parents know." Mateo ran a hand through his hair, looking frustrated. "You had said to only inform them about things if you tell me. Elijah and Diego are inside. Gabriel said he's on his-- there he is."

I turned around just as Gabriel got out of his car and ran towards us, hands out. "What happened? I got a message to get here quickly."

"We were attacked." Mateo's tone was the same as when he spoke to me. He sounded unsure. It was unsettling

"Attacked, but how?" I asked, not being able to leave out the edge from my tone.

Nicolas walked slowly to us, placing a hand on my shoulder and squeezing twice. I turned to look at him and he rolled his lips into his mouth. "Looks like we're in quite the pickle."

I froze, forcing myself to not turn around and look. We're in a pickle. It's code for I think we're being watched.

"Let's go inside. Phones stay at the entrance, got it. Any other electronics too."

All three men agreed, following after me as we walked inside the warehouse. As we walked further in the warehouse I turned to one of the guards that walked the halls. "Destroy the-- actually, better yet, turn off the phones that were collected at the front and put them away. Don't turn them on until I give the order face to face. No matter what. Understood?"

He nodded, taking off without another word. I guided them inside the meeting room, closing the door after Elijah and Diego came inside.

"Elijah, turn off the power everywhere. Send everyone home except our core group. Tell them the truth; that we were attacked and I want to clear out the comprised area. Call the security at my parent's villa and tell them to be on high alert. Bring in candles and a cassette player. Be back here in twenty minutes."

I turned to Diego. "You go home."

His face paled, looking betrayed. "But Boss, I--"

"Go home," I repeated.

He seemed like he wanted to protest, but in the end nodded and walked out. We waited in silence until Elijah came back. I could barely pay attention to anything else, only being able to focus on the cassette tape and red dress laid out in the table. My lip was bruised and bloody by how much I had bothered it.

When Elijah came back, Vee was right behind him. She looked angry and ready to burst. Her eyes shot daggers at Mateo. "Tell her. Now."

I turned to him. "Tell me what?"

Mateo looked between Veronica and I, swallowing hard. "She was here."

"Who?"

"Kiara. She was here," Mateo said. "And I mean physically here. I saw her with my own two eyes. She was right here in front of me and told me call you and tell you we were attacked. I let her in."

I stood up, nearly losing my footing. "You what?"

"I let her in," he repeated. "She was at the front with Fiorella Canci and... you're not gonna believe this."

"Try me."

"Marco Ramirez."

It took me a moment. I was confused at first, unsure of what he meant by the name before the realization came to me like a the crash of a wave. "Marco Ramirez as in son of the leaders of Muerte Silenciosa? As in the one who was abducted and we thought was part of the collection of people Mussolini had?"