30

I watched through the window as the trees swayed to the rhythm of the wind, the scattered lights around the property providing a dim illumination to the dark night. I yearned to open the window and smell the warm air outside, but couldn't. The threat to our safety was still high and any sort of contact was strictly prohibited by our security team. Elijah himself, being the new head of the department, told me to keep my ass in my room until further notice.

I tried not to frown, telling myself to enjoy what I have. To not step over the wrong side of the line. The side that left me unable to see, unable to think or feel. I didn't want to feel like I was at a cliff's end anymore. I wanted to slowly take steps back and walk to a safe ground in my mind, one where I could deal with all the burdens of my life without contemplating jumping over the edge every time.

I forced a smile on my face. A tiny one that made my lips curve a tiny bit high, not enough to be noticeable to anyone but me. Fake it 'til you make it. That has to be my mentality now. I have to be able to handle myself and learn how to deal with unforseen problems and unwanted situations. Apologizing to my father has to be the first thing I do. I cringe just thinking about the way I treated him. He didn't deserve it.

"Hey."

I turned around, surprise filling my chest as I stared at the second thing in my to-do list. One that should have never happened because I should have never been so cruel. One that I seem to keep messing up.

"Hey," I greeted Nicolas. He stayed by the doorway, hiding in the dark. The little light from outside wasn't enough to reach where he was, forcing me to rely on his voice to prove his presence.

"I wanted to talk to you," he spoke softly. Not in volume, but in tone. He didn't sound like he was being careful, rather calm and at ease. "Care for a walk?"

I turned back to the trees, hugging my legs to my chest and patting the space next to me. "I've taken about a billion walks around this house in the last week. Let's talk here."

"You didn't hear?" I turned around at the curiosity in his voice.

"Hear what?" I answered.

Nicolas stepped forward, getting closer to me, the soft blue of the light carefully covering his surface, not entirely reaching his face. "Elijah brought more men from the warehouse and other places around Italy to the villa. He told us yesterday that we're allowed to go out, but just on property grounds. No farther than the first inner fence, though. Still, we can finally be free... in a way."

I flew up, Nicolas taking a step back in surprise. "Really?" I grabbed his arm, unable to hold in the excitement. "Can we really?"

He laughed softly, "yeah. But, I mean, if you want to stay here..."

I grabbed his hand and pulled us out of the room, his laughter following behind me. "Be quiet!" He whispered. "We'll wake everyone up."

I bit my lip, realizing how much noise I had been making, slowing down. His hand held onto mine more comfortably as he walked us towards the living room, grabbing a blanket and bag the laid on the couch. "What is this?" I asked, subtle mischief laced around my words.

He didn't look at me, walking slightly ahead so his face was hidden from my eyes. "You prepared a date?" I teased, taking an extra step to be able to see his blushing face. He rolled his eyes at me looked away.

"It's not a date," he defended. "It's... it's a second chance," he looked at me with a smile, obviously proud of his answer. I scoffed at him, hitting his arm.

I opened the door for us, letting him walk first with the things in the hand that wasn't holding mine. He only spoke after we had been walking for a minute. "I've been thinking about the argument we had that day."