Chapter 10: Birthday Party

• Dedicated to one of my best friends, my cousin Jeri Norris

This chapter is dedicated to one of my best friends. Without her I would have never had the courage to write.

***********************************************************************************************************************

One week later:

"Can I come down now?" I called from my bedroom door. I was currently confined to my room while everyone put up decorations for my birthday party. Today I am officially seventeen.

"No!" Was the reply. I sighed and flopped down on my bed careful not to mess up my hair. It had taken me an hour to straighten it. I have been upstairs all day and I don't know what to do now. A person can only spend so long getting ready before there is nothing else they can do. My make-up is perfect, I am wearing the outfit Callie picked out for the party, and my hair looks amazing. What else am I supposed to do up here? Wow I am impatient. I guess I am excited. I love parties. It was an added bonus that the party was for me. I just wish they would let me downstairs. I want to see everything. I am not good playing the waiting game.

I wandered over to my book shelf and grabbed a novel at random. "It was the worst of times, it was the best of times." --A Tale of Two Cities. I have read this book about five times. I snuggled up on the bed and was about a chapter in before I heard steps outside my door. 

"Knock knock," Jordan said rapping his knuckles on my door. "They're ready downstairs. Sent me up to get you."

"Yay!" I cheered bouncing up and placing the book back on the shelf before heading to the door.

"Wait," Jordan said grabbing my arm, "I have to blindfold you." He picked my black scarf up off my desk and tied it around my eyes. It took him longer than it should have because he had to tell me to stop bouncing three times. Jordan walked down the stairs backwards, holding my hands so I wouldn't fall.  When we finally got into the living room, my wolf senses kicked in because of my lack of eyesight. I felt Jordan's breath on my neck and I heard low breathing from different people in the room.

Jordan walked me to the center of the room and pulled the blindfold off. My whole family was standing in front of me. Kaylee and Jenna was there, along with Callie and Mr. and Mrs. Mitchell. I looked around for Matt and sighed with relief when I didn't see him. Everyone shouted happy birthday and Kaylee and Jenna gushed over how beautiful my outfit was. After the initial congratulations the party was moved outside and daddy started up the grill. We were having steak and baked potatoes. My favorite. (No we don't eat our steak raw!)

I sat down at one of the picnic tables and my mom descended with the camera. She started organizing everyone to take a group picture. Then I had to take a picture with Jenna and Kaylee. Another with Jordan and Callie. She had dad leave the grill to get one of the family. She wanted a picture of me and the Mitchells. It went on and on. My mom was picture happy. Our hallway is littered with pictures from the day of Jordan's birth up to mine and on. 

Finally dad saved us all by declaring the food done. I swear my dad could rival the Iron Chief, he was such a good cook. You always know when my family is eating, it's the only time we are quiet. Today was an exception though. Halfway through the meal mom started sobbing about how her babies were growing up.

"Well, what do you expect. They aren't going to live at home for the rest of their lives." My dad said indignantly.

"Yes they are!" My mom sobbed. "They are going to stay home with their mommy because they love me and don't want me to have an empty nest!" She looked at me and Jordan for conformation on this. Jordan avoided her completely leaving me to calm mom down, the jerk.

"We have at least a year before I go anywhere mom. Don't worry, your er...nest isn't empty yet." Mom mumbled something unintelligent and wrapped me in a breathless hug. I shot a death glare at Jordan and he at least had the decency to look guilty.