𝓢𝓽𝓸𝓻𝔂 1 (EDITED!)

Hey guys! This is the first oneshot I'll be writing! I'll also probably write a part 2, so be on the lookout. Hope you enjoy :) 

"𝐼𝓃 𝓌𝒽𝒾𝒸𝒽 𝐻𝒶𝓏𝑒𝓁 𝓁𝑒𝒶𝓇𝓃𝓈 𝓉𝑜 𝓃𝑜𝓉 𝒿𝓊𝒹𝑔𝑒 𝒶 𝒷𝑜𝑜𝓀 𝒷𝓎 𝒾𝓉𝓈 𝒸𝑜𝓋𝑒𝓇."

Hazel's POV

I hopped on the bus and stared out the window, lost in my thoughts. Today was the first day of eighth grade! I was so excited for many reasons. Last year, I found out I would be taking algebra, instead of regular grade-level math. This means that I'll be able to hang out with all the really smart kids! A few of my other good friends would also be taking the same math course, which was also really awesome. On top of being in the smart math class, I was also in the same homeroom as many of my friends that I haven't seen in a long time, so I would be able to hang out with them more! The best part though, is definitely that I have the best teachers! Almost everyone wanted to have the teachers that I have. Talk about lucky, right? I continued staring out the window, and thought classes and my friends some more. Before I knew it, I was back in front of the middle school. The start of a new year has begun...

(Timeskip to a week later)

The first class I had today was math, which was great! Everything we learn is so interesting, and my teacher is also really cool. He makes sure to teach us everything we need to learn, but somehow manages to make it all very engaging and entertaining. We also get to sit wherever we want to, so I sat next to one of my best friends, Bella. We go back a long time, and we're always together! Speaking of stress, we took a math test the other day, and we were supposed to get our results right now! The teacher tells us all to quiet down, and starts passing our tests back. He handed me my test, and when I quickly peeked at it, I saw that I got a ninety eight! 

"Yesssss! Oh, this feels great! My first test of the year, and I got an A plus on it!" I happily exclaimed. "Yay! Great job, Hazel! I got a 95! How awesome, right?" Bella said, while smiling. We both nodded and started asking some other classmates how they did. But before I could get a word in with someone, another boy came walking over. "Hey, Hazel. What did you get?" Caleb said, voice dripping contempt. I think I forgot to mention who Caleb is. He's one of the smartest boys in the grade, one of the most popular, and also one of the most annoying. For some reason, girls go crazy over him! I mean, I get that he looks good, but yuck. Somehow, all of this ran through my mind, and I still managed to respond to Caleb as soon as the question was out of his mouth. "Hi, Caleb. I got a 98, and what did you get?" I said a little bit harshly. "Wow! Nice job! I got a 96. I guess you beat me... this time." Caleb chuckled and said he'd see me in class later, and waltzed back to his little friend group in the middle of the class. "Okay, cool. See you around." I replied. Now mind you, I'm not a popular girl, but definitely not hated, either. I have a lovely, tightly- knit friend group, and I plan on keeping it that way. Bella turned to face me, eyes as big as dinner plates. "Oh my god, Hazel! That was the most popular guy in our grade, and he just talked to you! I can't believe it- do you think he wants to be friends with you?" I rolled my eyes, playfully, and said "Ew! Bella, that is revolting! He probably just wants to rub it in my face that he's smarter than me." For the rest of the day, Bella's question stuck in my head, and I couldn't stop thinking about Caleb. 

(Timeskip to two months later, last period of the school day)

Ah, science. My favorite. Once again, best science teacher I've ever had! Sadly, today was the day we got assigned seats. The funny part was that Caleb turned out to be in all of my classes, and sat really close to where I sit. Strange, but I didn't think much of it. And as expected, the teacher put us right next to each other. He even quietly said to Caleb and I that he knew we didn't get along well, but he knew putting us next to each other would end up benefiting both of us. 

"So what did you think of the math test we just took, Hazel?" Caleb asked me softly. I did a double take! Why was the most popular boy talking to me? I mean, come on. I'm a nobody. "Oh, I thought it wasn't too bad. Pretty easy, considering it's algebra. What did you think of it?" I asked. Caleb nodded his head, and agreed with me. The period passed, pretty uneventfully. We actually ended up talking and getting to know each other, but it wasn't anything personal, just academics. When the bell rang, signaling the end of the school day, I got up and said "Bye, Caleb. I have to go catch my bus now. It was nice talking to you!" He looked at me, smiled, and said "Can we actually wait for each other? I think it'd be nice if we walked out to our buses together!" My eyes widened and I thought to myself, "Man, what is up with this dude? He just won't leave me alone... and I sort of like it!" I nodded and smiled. "Sure, that would be cool! I'll wait for you at my locker, okay? You know where it is, so just come find me." We walked out of the classroom, and went our separate ways to pack up all our books and binders.