18. not now

Owen has been starting to get better. We've all been starting to get better. A little. Minute by minute, day by day, smile by smile. We have good days and then many bad days.

He's been out of the hospital for some time now and we go to his psychiatrist together. I wait for him in his car and on our ride home he tells me how did it go. Always.

He's been taking it slow. Until summer, he's studying from home, going to school to only write tests.

He comes over and we study math, watch movies and go out running. He says exercise helps him stop thinking but I hate running. We don't kiss. As much as how I'd love to kiss him and touch him and feel him, we talk. Honestly, we just spend a lot of time getting to know each other again, because, without both of us really noticing, we've drifted apart. He tells me about how he feels and I tell him the same.

I don't want to make it weird for him and I hate when he says that I am only with him because he's mentally ill. Usually when that happens, I make him bake cookies with me or dance to 2000s songs. He loves it, he's just too badass to say it out loud.

I haven't asked him why he did what he did. I don't want for him to be pressured. He has been telling me already so much. When a time comes and he's ready to talk about it, we'll talk about it.

"Babe, are you ready yet?" Owen whined from my bed, while I was trying to make a bun.

"Do not call me babe!" I walked to him and smacked his head with a big smile on my face.

"What was that for, best friend?" he rubbed the back of his head, while looking at me.

"You're making me insane, Isabel." he groaned and fell back into my bed.

"Yea, I know, Owen!" I sticked out my tongue for him and left my room.

"Do not tell me that you're driving again!" he yelled behind me and I started to run downstairs. I could hear him laughing.

"Too late now!" I grabbed his car keys from the counter and ran out of the door.

My mom stopped Owen on his way out.

"To Noah's garage. Be back until twelve." I heard him saying and my mom giving him a big kiss on his cheek.

My phone started to ring. It was Liz.

"Isabel, I am begging you, do not drive! My car and you are the most important things in my life. I don't want to lose both." he chuckled, while hugging me from the back and placing his head on my shoulder. I smiled at his closure.

I pouted and turned around in his arms to look at him.

"My mom got lipstick all over you!" I laughed, licking my finger to get it off of his cheek. He leaned back with a terror on his face. We both started to laugh.

"Jealous, huh?" he smirked at me and I hit him again.

"Freak!" I shook my head and threw the keys to him. He started a little dance. I couldn't help but smile.

"But I'm choosing the music!"

When we finally arrived, everyone were already here.

"Beer or vodka?" Noah yelled at me and Owen cuddled on his couch, giving death stares to Liz next to him.

Liz had some random guy with her tonight and it was really obvious that Noah did not like the scene.

"I thought you hate vagina!" Owen yelled, sticking his head out under my body.

I gasped and smacked him.

"Me too, man, me too. I think it's more like a sister and a brother thing. I feel protective of her, does that make sense?" Noah sighed and looked at both of us and I smirked at Liz, who was listening to the conversation but were pretending that she is not.