KISS ME QUICK

CHAPTER 16

KISS ME QUICK

Dear Lyra, 

I'm at Hogwarts, I heard from Harry and came to see him. Don't tell me it was a dumb idea, I already heard it from Harry and your dad. I'll be at the edge of Hogsmeade, past Dervish and Banges. Hope to see you then.

Padfoot 

Lyra had received the letter a few days ago and had decided at that moment that she would kick Sirius's ass for this stunt. Still she woke up early that morning, told her friends she wouldn't be joining them in Hogsmeade. 

Thankfully they assumed that she was going on a secret date, which made it easier for her to evade questions. She woke up that morning and ate a quick breakfast, taking a mug of yoghurt and fruit with her. 

She had taken this road only once before, when the twins and her had set fireworks off after Gryffindor wont he Quidditch Cup, last year. 

She followed the trail and was met with a black dog, Hermoine, Harry, and Ron who turned to look at her, wide-eyed.

"Lyra! What are you doing here?"

"You need to leave."

"Relax Harry. Hey, Padfoot." She said, nodding at the dog, who trotted towards her and whiffed at her hand. Lyra smiled and rubbed at the space between his ears.

"You know about Si--."

"Yes," She said before Ron could say his name. "He stayed over at my place, long story."

Sirius barked and began leading the four across the scrubby patch of ground that rose to meet the rocky foot of the mountain. It was easy for him to climb the boulders with his four paws, but Harry, Ron, and Hermione were soon out of breath. Lyra prided herself in how well she managed to keep up.

For nearly half an hour they climbed a steep, winding, and stony path, following Sirius's wagging tail, sweating in the sun, Lyra was so glad she had stayed in jeans and sneakers instead of the flats she had planned. 

Then, at last, Sirius slipped out of sight, and when they reached the place where he had vanished, they saw a narrow fissure in the rock. The four squeezed into it and found themselves in a cool, dimly lit cave. Tethered at the end of it, one end of his rope around a large rock, was Buckbeak the hippogriff. Half gray horse, half giant eagle, Buckbeak's fierce orange eye flashed at the sight of them. 

"Where was he when you came to my place." Lyra said after bowing him. 

Sirius transformed back into a man, "I left him at my parents' old place. I only stay at your fathers for a few more days after you left, Dumbledore managed to work things out at my parents' and I've moved back in."

Lyra didn't miss the discomfort in Sirius's eyes when he admitted to returning to his old house. He looked just as he had when she had been home. His clothes a bit ratty, face sunken, hair long, more matted then when he had been with her dad. And his voice was still very hoarse. 

Harry soon joined them and handed him chicken and bread from his bag.

Thanks," said Sirius, opening it, grabbing a drumstick, sitting down on the cave floor, and tearing off a large chunk with his teeth. "I've been living off rats mostly these past few days. Can't steal too much food from Hogsmeade; I'd draw attention to myself." 

He grinned up at them, Harry only looked at him nervous, "What're you doing here, Sirius?"

"Fulfilling my duty as godfather," said Sirius, gnawing on the chicken bone in a very doglike way. "Don't worry about it, I'm pretending to be a lovable stray."