REMEMBER

CHAPTER 18

REMEMBER

When Lyra first felt Blaise's pinky hook against her own she thought maybe it was an accident, he hadn't meant to. But he didn't let go, and when she turned to look at him, with what she was sure was a horribly dumbfounded face, he didn't pull away. Or react at all, just stared out at the pitch with his usual emotionless face.

Still just the feeling of their hooked pinkies was enough to comfort her and loosen the tension in her shoulders. And that tingling warmth returned in her hand, like the night of their kiss, it was a warmth that began with their connected fingers and spread to the rest of her body. And it didn't disappear this time, he didn't disappear this time.

Lyra had spent the last few weeks thinking about that night. Her brain just wouldn't quit replaying it and she didn't know what to think anymore.

She remembered her kiss with Alexander from the summer and how different it had felt. Alexander gave her stomach butterflies and his kiss felt warm against her lips.

But Blaise, he was different. His brought a warmth throughout her whole body, and when it was over it felt like being doused in freezing water. But she felt safe with him, no strange feeling in her stomach, no nervousness. She felt like she could talk to him, like he would listen. Because he had listened when she talked about her mother, and Sirius, and her hate for house prejudice. Even though they had their arguments and scream matches at the beginning of the year, they talked and listened and understood in a way that most people didn't.

Because most people saw Lyra Knight, perfect Gryffindor, great chaser, and probably future Auror. Blaise saw Lyra, a girl who just wanted to survive Hogwarts and find herself as more than a hat's choice of who she was.

So, yeah. It hurt a little when he said that what happened had been an accident. It hurt when he spent the last couple months ignoring her, turning the other way when she walked anywhere near him.

But now, he was holding her hand, kind of. And maybe it was different. Maybe they could work whatever they were out. Because Blaise was a good... friend. And this was an improvement from the last few weeks, so she would take it and hope that they could figure this out later.

But then, everything falls into chaos. It happens a lot faster than what Lyra expects. First, it's silent then a crack and Harry and Cedric land at the entrance of the maze. And the crowd cheers as the boys lay on the floor. Lyra realizes something isn't right when they don't move and Dumbledore seems to agree when he runs towards them.

The other judges come closer as well, and distantly she can hear, "He's back."

Cornelius Fudge runs to Dumbledore's side, "My God - Diggory! Dumbledore - he's dead."

Lyra feels herself gasp and she is sure Zara is gripping her arm so hard, but her lungs feel like they have stopped and the nails of her best friend don't hurt like they should.

"He's dead... He's dead... Diggory is dead..." The whispers travel through the stands and it feels like Lyra's head is underwater because she can't hear anymore.

And now she's gripping Blaise's hand instead of just his finger, and Lyra is holding on to Zara who has her head in her neck. And everyone is standing trying to see and Harry is barely standing with Moody supporting him while Cedric's yellow clad body is laying on the floor, covered by Dumbledore and Fudge.

McGonagall immediately stood along with the other judges and professors. "Everyone please leave the pitch and head up to your common rooms, carriages, and boats."