LIES

CHAPTER 35

LIES

"Are you alright? Let's move out to the Entrance Hall." He said as he led them out, Lyra pulled Harry's arm over her shoulder and helped him limp out before Lyra could ask anything.

"You should go to the Hospital Wing, Mr. Potter."

"I'm not going... I don't need the hospital wing... I'm—I'm fine, sir," Harry stammered, wiping the sweat from his face, his weight still partially on Lyra. "Really... I just fell asleep... had a nightmare..."

"Pressure of examinations!" said the old wizard sympathetically, patting Harry. "It happens, young man, it happens! Now, a cooling drink of water, and perhaps you will be ready to return to the Great Hall? The examination is nearly over, but you may be able to round off your last answer nicely?"

"Yes, I mean... no... I've done - done as much as I can, I think..."

"Very well. Ms. Knight, you should return to finish your own exam."

"Oh, I already finished, sir. If it's alright, I'll walk Harry to get some water."

The old wizard nodded gently. "I shall go and collect your examination papers then, and I suggest that you go and have a nice lie down."

"I'll do that," said Harry, nodding as Lyra began steering him away. The second that the old man's heels disappeared over the threshold into the Great Hall, Lyra released Harry and they ran up the staircase, hurtled along the corridors and burst through the double doors of the hospital wing, causing Madam Pomfrey - who had been spooning some blue liquid into Montague's open mouth - to shriek in alarm.

"Potter, Knight, what do you think you're doing?"

"We need to see Professor McGonagall," gasped Harry, "Now... it's urgent!"

"She's not here, Potter." said Madam Pomfrey sadly. "She was transferred to St. Mungo's this morning. Four Stunning Spells straight to the chest at her age? It's a wonder they didn't kill her."

"She's... gone?" said Lyra, shocked and slightly afraid. The bell rang just outside the dormitory and she heard the usual distant rumbling of students.

"I don't wonder you're shocked," said Madam Pomfrey, with a kind of fierce approval in her face. "As if one of them could have Stunned Minerva McGonagall face-on by daylight! Cowardice, that's what it was... despicable cowardice... if I wasn't worried what would happen to you students without me, I'd resign in protest."

"Yes," said Harry blankly. He wheeled around and pulled Lyra with him, and they began striding blindly down the hall, unsure of what to do.

"Ron and Hermione." Harry said after a minute and they burst into another run. They sprinted back down two floors uncaring of the angry students they bumped into. At the top of the marble staircase they found the other two hurrying towards them.

"Harry!" said Hermione at once, looking very frightened. "What happened? Are you alright? Are you ill?"

"Where have you been?" demanded Ron.

"Come with me," Harry said quickly and Lyra followed his lead. "Come on, I've got to tell you something."

They found an empty classroom into which they dived into, Lyra closed the door behind them and leaned against it, facing them.

"Voldemort's got Sirius." Harry said.

"What?"

"How d'you-?"