STORY

CHAPTER 29

STORY

You have a shit ton of explaining to do.

-Your damn daughter

That note, along with Lyra's two pictures of her mother is what she attached to Sunflower's leg before releasing her.

After the owl had finally disappeared from view, Lyra walked out of the tower and down to sit next to the lake, taking large, deep breaths in hopes of cleaning the headache that had formulated between her eyebrows.

Hogwarts seemed to go on like normal for the next few days. Lyra didn't know why, but she had expected the world to freeze. She expected people to turn in the halls and look at her, or discuss the breakout. She expected them realize that suddenly she was the daughter of Cassiopeia Avery, something that she could now think without having an anxiety attack, and that eleven death eaters were free as of this week and possibly joining Lord Voldemort once again.

While the students seemed to go on their daily lives, Lyra felt like hers was slowly falling apart. She began avoiding anyone who wasn't Zara, Fay, Ginny, and Blaise. And had more than once walked in the opposite direction when seeing Neville, it hurt to avoid someone you really cared about, but what could she do?

Say, hey Neville, you know those two evil witches that tortured your parents into insanity? Yeah, one of those is my mother. And now they're both free again. But anyway, how's Herbology going?

Even to her head that sounded like the dumbest thing in the world. So she avoided him and Harry and Ron and basically everyone else. To make matters worse, her father had deemed not to answer the angry letter. She assumed he was still deciding how to tell her, or sending her a 10-foot long letter about the truth, but after a week of waiting she doubted he would respond at all until she forced it out of him after the end of the school year.

Lyra's only method of comfort these days was working twice as hard in DA, imagining her mother, Umbridge, and even her father at times as her targets. As well a Quidditch, where she was flying faster, throwing the ball harder, nearly knocking Ron off his broom every time she tried to score. And hidden snogs with Blaise, because screw Umbridge's 6-feet apart rule.

Finally, in the first week of February, his father deemed it appropriate to finally respond to her.

Dumbledore is allowing you to come to Grimmauld Place over the weekend. Be at his office, 7 o' clock on Friday afternoon.

-Dad

"That's all he said?" Zara asked as she looked at the note over Lyra's shoulder. They were in Fay and Lyra's dorm.

"Looks like it." Lyra responded, rubbing at her temples, Fay rubbed softly at her back.

"Well, maybe he'll give you a good explanation about it and it won't be as bad as you think." Fay said with a slight huff.

Lyra chuckled but continued rubbing at her head.

"How about after you meet with him we plan a Hogsmeade trip? It's on Valentine's day."

Lyra winced, "Sorry, I already have plans."

Fay rolled her eyes, a slightly angry expression replacing the comforting one. "Of course you do."

Lyra turned to look at her. "What the hell is that supposed to mean?"

Fay just rolled her eyes again, "It means ever since we found out about it you act like Blaise is some holy grail. Now you're ditching us on Hogsmeade trips to go with him?"