HIGH INQUISITOR

CHAPTER 25

HIGH INQUISITOR

"You have got to be kidding me."

"What," Blaise said as he pulled his bag over his shoulder, walking towards Theo who was staring at the daily prophet. "Shit!"

MINISTRY SEEKS EDUCATIONAL

DOLORES UMBRIDGE APPOINTED FIRST-EVER "HIGH INQUISITOR"

Blaise yanked the newspaper from his friend's hand and skimmed through the article. If Umbridge had been willing to cut into students' hands as punishment, who knew what she was willing to do now that she had even more power.

"Can't wait to see how it goes between her and Snape." Draco said with a smirk, sitting on Theo's other side.

Daphne leaned in from across them, "And McGonagall."

The people around them gave hums in agreement but Blaise looked up to the Gryffindor table. Lyra was there, staring at the paper with Dougherty and Dunbar on both her sides. Dougherty had her eyes on the girl's hand, which made Blaise assume she had finally told them.

But that wasn't what kept his gaze. Lyra was practically fuming, ready to rip the newspaper in her hands.

Theo must have realized where he was looking because he turned to look at Blaise and whispered, "Did she take it?"

"Mhmm." Blaise said, his eyes still on the girl.

"Did she tell you how she got them?" Theo asked, leaning back in his chair, his book bag forgotten next to the foot of the table.

Blaise froze, one thing he knew for sure from last night was how much Lyra didn't want people to know about what had happened. But she had told her friends and Theo wouldn't say anything. "Detention with Umbridge. She's making them write lines with their blood and cut into their skin."

Theo choked on the fruit he had been eating, "Please tell me that was a joke."

When Blaise didn't say anything Theo continued, appalled, "And now she's going to be able to check in our other classes? Why is it that every year here keeps getting worse."

"Pretty sure a murder is worse than Ministry involvement, Nott."

"You know what I meant Zabini."

For the first time, Blaise was not paying attention in History of Magic. He was too busy staring at the still fuming Lyra Knight. Finally he said 'to hell with it' and ripped a corner off his notes.

Please don't do anything dumb.

Today Lyra was sitting in front him, so passing the note was easier than it had been last time. He saw her turn to look at her friends before carefully opening the note, her shoulders shook once in what Blaise assumed was huff or a scoff.

This is becoming a thing for us isn't it, Zabini? Also, since when do you say please?

Zabini rolled his eyes at the note. This girl really knew how to push him.

Don't change the subject. And I say please, when I really don't want you to get yourself into bigger trouble, dumbass. I don't want to stay up past midnight again for you.

This time her shoulders shook with laughter.

You're fun to mess with, Zabini. Don't worry, I won't do anything TOO stupid.