Stones

"It has been confirmed. That's right people of Gotham. Richard Grayson is confirmed to be kissing an unidentified redhaired man," the newswoman stated in a dramatic tone. 

"Dick, I-" Wally started but Dick quickly shushed him.

"Just keep watching," Dick said.

The newswoman continued talking about how an amateur photographer had sent in the beautiful photo. Then the slurs started spilling. Wally thought that would be the worst of it. Heck he was infuriated that they would call his boyfriend those things. Unfortunately, he was about to be much more angry when he realized what had gone down between the yesterday morning when the story first broke and this afternoon.

"Last night Bruce Wayne and Richard Grayson greeted paparazzi in a press conference outside their home," the woman said, "It began with a quick statement by Bruce Wayne but was quickly cut short by an escalation. We will play footage now..."

*FLASHBACK*

Dick kept his head up as he followed Bruce outside the manor. The paparazzi outside started flashing their cameras and talking very loudly. 

"Now," Bruce spoke loudly, quickly silencing the journalists and photographers, "In this day and age, to think this needs to be publicly addressed is juvenile. Who my son chooses to love is neither my business nor yours. Nevertheless, ere we are."

Dick stepped a bit more forward and someone loudly yelled, "Is it true?!"

Dick took a breathe and said confidently, "Yes."

Bruce and Dick could recognize when situations became threatening and the response was obviously not great. Immediately people started yelling louder and as Bruce started to turn back towards the door he saw a quick movement out of the corner of his eye. Dick had suddenly reached up and caught a heavy stone aimed for his face. 

While he avoided the first stone another followed and hit him in the eye, followed by another hitting his nose. In what seemed like a second everyone was equipping themselves with objects to throw, many just rocks or stones from the yard. Bruce immediately opened their front door and grabbed Dick's wrist to turn him around and pull him inside.

Several stones hit Dick in the back before Bruce had pulled him fully inside. His nose was dripping blood and his eye was black.

*PRESENT*

Wally switched off the news as he saw the door slam and he put his head in his hands. After a moment of comprehension he looked up beside him and saw Dick had removed his mask. His left eye was dark and bruised, as was the bridge of his nose where a cut also lay. 

"Dick," Wally paused, "I'm so sorry baby."

Dick didn't say anything in response, just lay his head on Wally's shoulder and started to shake as he finally really cried. Wally turned towards Dick and fully wrapped his arms around him.