Confident

"Are you sure about this?" Wally asked almost nervous for his boyfriend.

"I'm embracing this Wally. I love you so I'm going to take you out in public now that there is no reason to hide," Dick said with a smile.

"But at a Wayne gala? With a bunch of rich old people? Where your reputation really matters?" Wally asked again.

"There will be plenty of people there who are too old to care also," Dick said.

"Is it safe? I don't want anyone...yknow," Wally said, referencing to when Dick had things thrown at him a few days ago.

"I promise," Dick said, "It will be fine."

"Okay," Wally said and wrapped his arms around Dick. 

Given the news of the gala, Wally had decided to come over way early in the morning just to spend the day with Dick. The two were laying in Dick's bed on top of the covers, just relaxing in each other's arms.

"Master Dick, do come down for breakfast soon, as it is lunch time," Alfred spoke through the door suddenly.

"Coming Alfie," Dick replied and sat up, pulling Wally up with him.

Several hours later the two were getting dressed up for the gala. 

"Nice jacked," Wally said as he eyed Dick up and down.

"It's my gold jacket," Dick said with a smirk looking at the panels of reflective gold-like material on his suit jacket.

Wally was wearing a traditional traditional grey suit and smiled as he looked at he and Dick together in the mirror.

The doorbell rang several times in the next few minutes as guests slowly poured in. About twenty minutes went by before Dick made the decision to walk downstairs with Wally.

"Are you ready for this? To be public." Dick asked Wally.

"Don't worry. I'm already out in my city. I am here to stand by you," Wally replied and took his boyfriend's hand. 

"Let's go," Dick said and they walked out the door and towards the stairs, which lead directly into the main room where all the guests were.

The walk down the stairs felt like it was in slow motion. Wally noticed Dick's strange amount of confidence despite flashes of cameras and strange looks from guests. They reached the bottom of the steps and everyone resumed their conversations, acting like the two young men were no big deal. 

"Well, that was almost easy," Dick said with a relieved chuckle as he kept a smile on his face. Wally followed closely behind Dick as they made their way through people. He had heard all about the galas but had never been to one. Dick either completely hated them or completely loved them and it depended on the gala.

Music drowned out murmurs among the crowd of people and businessmen chatted about. Bruce smiled as his eyes wandered from his conversation with a businesswoman to his son dancing.

Dick's hands were on Wally's waist and Wally's around Dick's neck. The evening was nice. There were a few dirty looks but also a few congratulations on their relationship to balance it out.

It wasn't perfect.

They loved it.