Chapter 17 - Luke

***NONE OF THE CHARACTERS IN THIS STORY BELONG TO ME. THEY BELONG TO RICK RIORDAN AND JONATHAN M. SHIFF

[For the sake of this story, pretend they didn't know Luke's underworld situation. Like he didn't go for rebirth or anything] Percy's mouth was hanging open and he was shaking too. Piper and Jason were a little confused but they'd heard of Luke Castellan many times from Percy and Annabeth. They heard he was dead. Annabeth walked up to him slowly and Percy followed. Annabeth reached out her arm and touched him as if to make sure he was real. Luke just laughed.

"Hey, Annabeth," he said nonchalantly.

"Luke. But how?" she started.

"Percy knows. Don't you, Percy," Luke said.

"My dream. You're getting a second chance. But can't you just go for rebirth for a second chance?" Percy asked, still shaking slightly.

"Uh, well. Not exactly, " Luke admitted nervously.

"The Fates foresaw him being a big part of this prophecy and convinced Hades to let him live again," Nico cut in.

"Come on. Let's get away from all the mortals," Annabeth said and led them out into the hallway. Piper and Jason were tempted to follow but they let them have time with their old friend. Nico went over and sat with the rest of the group.

"So you are alive now? That's it? They are letting you live after this is over?" Annabeth asked once they were out of earshot. Luke looked down.

"No," Luke paused. "They are giving me a second chance to keep doing my good ways. If I help with this war I get to move to Elysium. But if I go back to my old ways then I will go to the Fields of Punishment." Annabeth knitted her eyebrows.

"What do you mean move to Elysium?" she asked, a little scared of his answer. Luke sighed and didn't meet her eyes.

"They put me in the Fields of Asphodel," he mumbled. Annabeth and Percy's eyes widened.

"WHAT?" They both screamed at the same time. "After you sacrificed yourself to save the world?!" Percy continued, looking like he wanted to hit something. Annabeth put her head in her hands.

"All this time that I was mourning over your death I kept telling myself that it was fine because you were in a better place. But..." she trailed off and Percy put his arms around her. Annabeth put her head on his shoulder and started to cry. Luke watched them with amazement.

"Nico told me you guys were together but..." Luke trailed off. "He also told me you guys have been through some pretty rough stuff."

"He told you about... Tartarus?" Percy asked. Luke stumbled back in surprise.

"No, he only told me what I just said. That you guys have been through a lot. You guys were in Tartarus?" Luke looked shocked. Annabeth squeezed Percy's hand as if to make sure he was still there.

"Among other things. But no changing the subject. Why the Hades did they put you in Asphodel?" Annabeth demanded. Luke took a deep breath.

"They said that my sacrifice only balanced out all my evil deeds. It didn't help that I got Minos for a judge," Luke grumbled. Percy scowled. He hated that horrible king. He'd have to pray to every god to not get Minos when he is judged. Minos would somehow find a way to send Percy to the Fields of Punishment.

Luke sighed and said, "But that doesn't matter now. I was only down there for almost two years. It wasn't bad. Although it didn't help that I didn't lose my memories."

"How-" Percy started.

"Gift from my dad. I think he knew I would need them again. I guess I can't say he never did anything for me," Luke said. Percy was shocked at how much Luke had changed. He didn't have that bitter resentment for the gods like he did before. Percy guessed it helped to not have Kronos breathing down your neck all the time.

"But for now, I'm going to go to school with you. At least until something happens. But from what I heard, it will be about two months," Luke said.

"Who told you that?" Annabeth asked.

"When Nico and I were coming out of the Underworld we ran into some followers of Antaeus. They were saying how he is forming an army and will destroy us at the Spring Equinox. That is in about two months."

"Antaeus? Why the Spring Equinox?" Percy asked.

"I thought you would've put that together by now. Antaeus is furious you helped defeat Gaia so he's leading an army to try to destroy the gods and demigods. Starting with you," Luke explained gravely.

"And the Spring Equinox is a powerful day for monsters. I'm not exactly sure why though. It's right before everything starts growing so it must be about the last day before the gods start gaining power," Annabeth explained.

"Wow. Wise Girl doesn't know something! We need to mark this day in a calendar," Percy said with a smirk.

"Oh haha, Seaweed Brain. I bet you don't even know the date," Annabeth said sarcastically.

"I do too! It's January eighteenth. The first day of school. I know because I've been dreading this day for weeks," Percy said with a frown.

"Hey, guys?" Luke cut it, smirking at them. "The bell just rang."

"Oh, gods! Come on! We're gonna be late!" Annabeth exclaimed.

"Relax, Wise Girl. We can use the Mist remember," Percy said.

"That doesn't make me feel any better..."

"I don't start school until tomorrow so I'll be at the house. Our parents magically added a room for me. Nico isn't going to school with us, that lucky son of Hades. He's going back to Camp Half-Blood but I'll tell the other two everything after school. See ya," Luke said and walked out of the school. Annabeth dragged Percy to their next class, Mythology.

I'm sorry about changing Luke's ending but this is how I got over my writer's block so I had to. I think I got his personality right but if you notice something that doesn't sound like him, please point it out. I hope you liked this chapter! Don't forget to vote if you enjoyed it! Thanks for reading!