{5}

JJ fell asleep to the distant sound of Storm Agatha ripping through the island, Brie's face pressed into the crook of his neck as she slept soundly. Her breath fanned his skin, covering his arms in goosebumps. His mind wandered to what she had said yesterday. We're just friends, right? You're not expecting anything more?

Right now, they seemed a little more that 'just friends'. He was pretty sure 'friends' didn't sleep with each other and definitely didn't kiss like they had done. He hoped that wasn't what Brie thought that friends did anyway.

When he woke up, he immediately noticed the absence of the girl that had been sleeping on his chest just a few hours ago. He pushed himself up from the sofa and glanced around. He could hear the sound of someone breaking branches from outside and immediately noticed the destruction of the storm through the window.

He padded outside to see Brie moving branches from the porch and the yard into one big pile. She was wearing his tshirt again; it was so long on her that it brushed past her shorts so that it looked as if she wasnt even wearing any pants. He smiled to himself and walked up behind her, wrapping an arm around her waist.

"Morning," he greeted, kissing her on the temple.

Brie spun around in shock and tucked her hair away from her face awkwardly. She stepped back and pursed her lips, making JJ's heart sink. He had badly misread where he thought they stood.

"Um, hey," she smiled, a pained look on her face, "We should probably talk."

"Yeah," JJ cleared his throat, trying to hide his offence. "Totally."

Brie played with the hem of her shirt, refusing to look at him properly. Disappointment and dread already filled him, knowing where this was going. He was stupid to think that this could have ended any other way.

"I've not been here that long," she said, a pained look on her face. "And I dont want to start by breaking the rules you guys already had."

"Little late for that," JJ joked, scratching the back of his neck. Brie gave a smile that almost looked like a wince. He quickly shut his mouth. Stupid.

"I know," she sighed, "But...I dont think I want the others to find out. Maybe we should, I dont know, pretend it didnt happen? You know, for the group's sake. I'm sorry, JJ. I really wanted- Look, I dont know what I wanted to happen. But it...can't. It just can't."

JJ swallowed to lump in his throat and smiled, "I was thinking the same thing. Just friends is probably for the best, right?"

"Right," she agreed, mirroring his smile. "So we're good? No romantic feelings, no bringing this up and no jealousy with other people. Got it?"

"Absolutely," JJ flashed another fake grin, already hating the thought of Brie with anyone but him, "Wouldnt want you getting all butthurt when my other girls are around."

She scoffed and punched his shoulder, playfully. He laughed and jumped back, still trying to battle with the pang of rejection that stung his chest.

"You wish, mister."

"Hey, Brie!" John B called from the porch, "You dont have to do that, you know."

"I know," she smiled, small dimples appearing on her cheeks. JJ tried to register just how much it hurt that she had shut him down. "You're letting me live here, least I can do is chip in on the chores."

"If you say so," John B shook his head in disbelief and disappeared back inside the house.

"So," JJ turned to her, "You need a hand?"