{46}

Brie sat beside Pope on the cold floor of the garage, leaning her head against his shoulder as she dozed between asleep and awake. She shook her head and stood up, dusting off her shorts as she decided she didnt want to sit around any longer.

"Where are you going?" Pope asked.

"For a walk," she yawned, "I need the fresh air."

"You cant go for a walk," Pope told her, "What if someone sees you?"

"It'll be fine," she promised, turning towards the door, "Come on."

"Wait!" Pope grabbed her wrist and pulled her back. She looked at him in surprise as he fidgeted nervously. "I've been meaning to tell you something, and I figured that now is probably the best time seeing as the FBI are after you and-"

"Pope," Brie cut him off, slightly worried, "What is it? You can tell me anything, you know."

Pope sighed and nodded, loosening his gentle grip around her wrist even further. She took his hand and squeezed it supportively. What could he possibly need to tell her? Something about his interview? He was probably still upset over ruining his shot at going to the college of his dreams.

"I just- I didn't know if I should say something," he said, voice wavering, "Because of you and JJ..."

Brie frowned in confusion. What the hell was he talking about?

"But I like you, Brie," he said, making her heart stopped in her chest. "I really like you. You're like the most amazing person I've ever met. You-you're smart, and you're selfless, and...I just..."

He took her by surprise and leaned in, kissing her softly. Her mind reeled, still trying to comprehend what was happening.

"What the fuck?"

Brie's heart leapt when she heard JJ's voice from the doorway. Pope's head snapped up, stepping away from her warily. Brie brought her fingers to her lips, still in shock. Pope had kissed her. He admitted that he liked her and then, before she could even react, he had kissed her. She didnt even have time to pull away before JJ burst in. God, this probably looked really bad.

JJ's expression was one of pure rage, staring at them both and then settling on Pope. Pope stared at him in fear and Brie's eyes flicked between them. "Look, man-"

JJ lunged forwards and grabbed Pope by the front of his shirt, pinning him against the wall. Dust fell off the wall and Pope flinched in fear. Brie jumped at the loud noise, stumbling back.

"JJ!" Brie cried, "Let him go!"

"What the hell is going on?" Kiara demanded as she ran into the garage. Brie looked at her desperately, begging her to stop JJ from doing something stupid.

"You kissed her?" JJ snarled at Pope, "Seriously, bro? What the fuck?"

"What?" Kiara yelled, wide-eyed. Brie wanted to cry with frustration.

"I-I didnt-" Pope stuttered. JJ gripped his tshirt tighter in his fists. "I thought-"

"JJ," Brie said, sternly, "Let him go."

"No!" JJ bellowed, "He doesnt get to do that, alright? You fucking kissed my girl, man."

Pope's whole face dropped into a look of horror. He stared at Brie in confusion and she felt her cheeks heat up with embarrassment. She tried not to think too much about what JJ had just said in front of the others. She guessed their secret was finally out.

"Oh, fuck," Kiara mumbled to herself.

"You two?" Pope asked, looking between them with a frown, "But you both told me that you were just friends, and so I thought-"