"sparring and finger guns"

i pulled the two halves of my hair to tighten my ponytail to prepare for what was to come

i pulled the two halves of my hair to tighten my ponytail to prepare for what was to come. i had exchanged my t shirt for a black sports bra and black yoga pants. having no idea on what to expect, i went for a workout look. the black was also very slimming.

the mirror in front of me showed my reflection staring back. large round eyes with permanent dark bags underneath peered back. knowing where the small details came from such as the curve of my top lip was something that was still foreign. like the thought of my father.

when i was younger i had wished to be built small and dainty like the women i would see on the large screens at time square. when i had decided my shoulders were to broad or my lower and upper body was too muscular my mother had been quick to shut down my thoughts.

i had gotten my build from her. she was built like an asgardian warrior looking back. i quickly left my current living quarters and soon walked into the large gym passing by various workout contraptions.

fury, steve, tony, peter, clint, natasha and thor were scattered around talking amongst themselves. i felt my insides bubble with anxiety. what if i wasn't good enough?

i shook my head quickly. i was not going to psych myself out, i was a badass. and i was capable of much more than just defending myself.

"ah- she finally graces us with her presence." nick fury's loud voice directs all eyes on my figure.

"ya, ya, don't get your eyepatch in a twist." i grumbled. i understood why he and tony didn't really get along. "let's get this over with."

"okay miss stark, head over to the mats you will be sparing with agent romanoff."

of course he had me sparing against the assassin that trained for her whole life to kill people. great.

"fury, don't you think you're going a little hard on max. she doesn't have any training background." steve tried to intervene.

tony stepped forward. "steve is right, she's just a kid from the streets."

my chest tightened at the thought of tony thinking i was average and not good enough for him. the father i just met thinking i wasn't worthy of sparing natasha.

my pride must have gotten the best of me.

"are you shiting me? i'll be fine." i started stretching. " no problem"

"mhm" the director grunted with a smug look on his face. "perfect."

i walked past him with my head held high. i made eye contact with tony and he gave me a coy smile and a nod. i threw a tight lipped smile back at him.

peter looked at me with his wide brown eyes and i could see that he was nervous for me. he couldn't hide his emotions very well. i winked at him as i swiftly walked past him. i saw his cheeks bloom red out of my peripheral vision.