Back to Coruscant

A 31-year-old woman sat on a starship, gazing out of the window into the dark depths of space. She lay on a small bed, having just woken up. Oh, how she wished she could've stayed in that dream. The woman fluttered her eyes closed savouring the warmth of the dream that was quickly being replaced by the cold of space. The dream of the blue-eyed man with locks of brown hair, flecked with red. She didn't remember the details of the dream very well, but she knew that it was good.

Opening her eyes, she sighed as she saw the planet of Coruscant appear in her window. Sitting up, she pushed back the blanket and pulled on her boots. Checking her hair quickly in the mirror she left her room. 

"Hey, Sebbe. How is everything going up here?" the woman asked her captain, as she waddled in on sleepy legs.

"'A' okay. We are just beginning landing preparations now." Replied Sebbe, grinning back at her with his usual smile. "How was your sleep?"

"Ah, yeah it was great. I was so tired after all those negotiations..." the woman replied. She rubbed her eyes with the backs of her hands, wiping the image of the impossible man out of her mind.

"You must have been, you were gone for most of the flight!" Sebbe laughed, a throaty sound that made most peoples hearts race, no matter their sexuality. "Anyway, buckle in we're making our final descent."

After another 5 minutes, the ship landed without a problem on a landing deck. The woman said goodbye to Sebbe with a grin and ran off as he yelled something about saying hi to Padme. She jumped in the taxi that was waiting for her, thankful to be finally heading home. The sun was just starting to reach towards the horizon marking the end of the day, making the windows of the thousands of buildings reflect like priceless jewels. She'd seen many beautiful things in her lifetime, but that view was something she wished to die seeing.

She taxi arrived at the landing platform of her and Padmes residence. The lift was as quick as ever, she noted. As soon as she entered her best friends apartment she was engulfed in a hug as soon.

"Oh my gosh! I have missed you so much, Mel! I was going to be there when you arrived, but I totally forgot the time" cried Melanie's friend. Padme was looking as radiant as ever, hair pinned up in the most intricate do. 

"Padme! Don't even worry, if you'd come you would have had to face Sebbes incessant flirting. He wanted me to say hi to you." She, Melanie, replied wiggling her eyebrows.

"Thank god I didn't come then." Padme laughed, "But I'm so happy you're back, You've only been away for two weeks but It feels like it's been a lifetime... especially with all the extra Senate meetings because of this war..."

"I know right?! So much has changed in the last little while... and you owe me for going to those negotiations...  They were so boring I thought I could peel my skin back layer by layer and still have more fun. I'm both relieved that you weren't there and mad that you didn't come because of how tedious it was." Melanie rolled her eyes at her friend. 

"First you're saving me from Sebbe and then from boring negotiations. What would I do without you." She gave Melanie a sneaky side smile as they moved towards the small kitchen. Melanie flicked the kettle on while Padme reached for the cups and tea. They both set to work.

"I would've sent Jar Jar in your place, but the treaty negotiations were very sensitive and Jar Jar would've been... well... Himself?" Padme continued as she poured the hot water into each mug.

"Fair call, but you owe me! At least dinner at Dougs waffle palace."

Just like that, the deal was struck and the two glided over to the couch. They conversed for a few moments about mundane topics before Melanie brought up a more interesting conversation.

"Sooo... How are things going between you and loverboy."

Padme's face lit up in a bright blush. She looked around as if someone was listening to them before saying "Anakin is good, however, he was sent out earlier today to help Jedi Knight Aayla Secura in a battle near Yularen."

"So in other words you haven't had much time together?"

"No... Although, the other day I was on a diplomatic mission to sort out the banking clan and I was actually taken hostage by General Grievous-"

"General Grievous?" Melanie exclaimed in shock. "Why didn't you tell me about this earlier?"

"I didn't want to worry you while you were away. It all worked out in the end anyway. Thankfully, they choose the wrong senator to mess with. With the help of Anakin and Obi-Wan, I managed to escape. I was alright, but poor C3PO got a bit of a scare."

Melanie gave a small smile to hide to unease before yawning. Despite the fact she had gotten a few hours of sleep on the journey home, she was still exhausted.

"You look so tired... I better let you go off to bed before you pass out on me." Joked Padme. Melanie nodded and hugged her friend goodnight before heading to the lift.

The Naboo government had managed to purchase the apartment below Padme's for Melanie. It wasn't as nice as Padme's Penthouse but it was still very nice. The room was a loft, with a small kitchen area, living room, bathroom, and entranceway downstairs where the elevator opened into and then her room, an ensuite, and a walk-in wardrobe upstairs. Melanie had added lots of touches to her room to make it more homely such as hanging Naboo plants and some art here and there.

Melanie grabbed a muffin from the baked goods basket left by housekeeping and sat slouched on the sofa for a few moments. It was tiring being so prim and proper all the time, it felt nice to just let go and not care about posture and "sitting like a lady". She knew she didn't have to be perfect around Padme, but sometimes it was just easier to continue the act.

After finishing her snack, she moved up the stairs towards her bedroom. She undid her hair in the bathroom and did her usual nightly routine before slipping into a white nightdress and hopping into bed.

As she slipped closer towards sleep, her mind drifted to the man in her earlier dream. When would she see him again. Feel his presence. Feel her heartbeat faster for the Jedi man that she could never have.

Hello and welcome back everyone! To new readers, I recommend reading the first story in this series. However if you cant be bothered, I think you should be able to read this without worrying about the previous book. A majority of this story is based around Dave Filoni's Clone Wars TV series (10/10 a really good watch). Anywho, I hope you enjoyed the chapter and I'm so excited to share the next step in Melanie's journey!