Success

"Ouch," Padme exclaimed as Melanie tended to her scraped cheek. She had arrived in Melanie's apartment not 10 minutes ago, bruised and beaten. She had been attacked by two thugs. Obviously, someone who didn't want Padme to oppose the increase in militarisation ordered them to attack her to scare her into silence. Two bounty hunters had cornered her in an alley. It disgusted Melanie that the opposition to this bill was stooping to this low level. Melanie, who had finally been able to escape her room since the power had been fixed, had rushed up as soon as her friend had arrived. She still felt numb about what had happened however she was desperate to see her best friend.

"Don't you think you should report this to the Jedi council?"

"There's nothing they can do. I know who did it. They were bounty hunters, paid to stop me voting against the troop increase." Padme stood up and walked outside. Melanie continued to stay inside, leaving Padme to think alone. "What has happened to democracy? Why doesn't anyone seem to care?"

"Well, you do." One of Padmes maids that were assisting Melanie with the first aid spoke up. After getting the attention of both the women, she blushed before adding "Forgive me, your lady. Um, you're not like most politicians."

"If only that were enough, Teckla." Padme breathed out. The death of Mina was weighing heavily on her mind too, making it seem hopeless. 

"Well, you actually talk to the people... People like me." The two shared a moment of eye contact before Teckla turned away. "Goodnight my lady."

"Wait," Melanie called, catching onto an idea. She stood to meet the two ladies at the entrance to the balcony. "Teckla, tell me. How is your family?"

"They are fine?"

"How is the war affecting them?" Padme asked, understanding the angle that Melanie was coming from.

"Well, it hasn't been easy, and it's only getting worse."

"How, please tell us. Tell us how it's getting worse." Melanie led the woman inside and the three got talking. 

The fight against the increase of troops would get nowhere with facts and figures about interest rates and scare tactics, they would have to fight from a different angle, an angle most Senators had been ignoring.

- - - - -

The next morning, Melanie woke up on her sofa. She could feel something sticking into her side and pulled her datapad out from under her. She vaguely remembered falling asleep while doing some research.

Today was the day. The day Bail Organa would speak against the deregulation of the banks and the increase in troops.

She hopped up and sprinted upstairs. Before they went their separate ways last night, Padme said she was going to meet Melanie at the Senate building the next day. After a quick shower, she twisted her hair into two 5 stranded dutch braids that turned into buns at the bottom. Today, Melanie decided to wear a dark purple jumpsuit. The front of the legs was cut so when she walked, her entire leg could be seen right up to her upper thigh.

She took the shuttle to the Senate building and found Padme in her office.

"Good morning. Your face looks terrible." Melanie said bluntly, noting the giant purple bruise across her face from last nights attack.

"Why thank you." Padme rolled her eyes with a smile. "Come on, we need to go and talk to Bail about what we discussed last night before he speaks."

The two made their way through the crowded halls. It seemed like a lot of Senators were here in person for this important vote. They were making good time when Uncle Ono, the Senator of Rodia and a big supporter to oppose the increase in troops bumped into them.