motion and emotion

The next day, Padme, Ahsoka and Melanie found themself sitting in the Separatist government building overseeing the meeting. The square room had five tiers of seats that wrapped around an open floor. The confederacy was nothing compared to the Republic Senate, but it was still something. The same chaos that Padme and Melanie faced yesterday was happening here as Mina came forward to throw her idea out there.

"How many lives on both sides have to end before we can see the futility? Surely there is room in the Galaxy for Confederate and Republic planets to coexist. I move that we immediately begin to open peace negotiations with Chancellor Palpatine on Coruscant"

Her speech was met with both cheering and jeering making Melanie's knee bounced in anticipation.

"The corporate alliance will never allow this to happen." Came a young woman, obviously from the Corporate Alliance.

"This is a democracy, and unlike the Republic, Corporations do not rule us," said another across the room, causing more yelling to begin.

"Quiet." Count Dooku commanded from his holographic place on the dais. The three women sitting at the back shrunk away from his image as if he would recognise them. "In accordance with the bylaws of independent systems, a voice vote is required. All in favour of initiating peace negotiations with the galactic republic say aye."

The noise began again.

"All those opposed, say nay."

Voices again, however this time quieter.

"The ayes have it."

With that Dooku's hologram disappeared the meeting was adjourned. The movement had passed. Padme and Melanie both realised that it was time to go back to Coruscant and fight for peace on their own turf. They meet Mina back at her house and quickly boarded their transport back to the port.

Melanie felt an overwhelming amount of sadness at the thought of saying goodbye again with no idea when they would next meet. She felt like she hadn't had enough time. Padme and Ahsoka said their goodbyes and stood back leaving Melanie some space.

"Well... This is goodbye..." Melanie couldn't stop the tears forming in her eyes.

"I've been disappointed before, and yet, I almost feel as if this time, the tide has turned in the war. You're a strong girl Melanie and I am so proud of how far you have come." Mina smiled tenderly at the younger woman, pulling her into a hug. "Now hurry, you have a vote to win."

Melanie let go and turned to Lux and yanked him into her arms. "Goodbye, Luxie. I'll see you around, I guess."

Before waiting another second she made her way towards the transport. She wiped her damp eyes, forcing herself to not look back at her makeshift family. However, she did overhear Ahsoka and Lux flirting just a little and kept that in mind for later on. Enemies to lovers, she thought with a laugh.

Soon the other two sat in their seats next to her and the ship took off. On the platform below she could see Mina and Lux waving up at them. She waved back too in the desperate hope they could still see her.

- - - - -

When they arrived back to Coruscant, the three went their separate ways. Padme and Ahsoka headed towards the Senate building to talk to Senator Palpatine while Melanie headed towards her home to drop off their bags. She promised to get back in time for the vote but would do anything to get out of a meeting with the chancellor. She really didn't like that guy.

She quickly got out of her travel clothing, when she arrived. Dressing in a long sleeve, light pink silk midi dress that had a cut from the neckline to the waist, exposing her sternum for the world to see. She just knew that would annoy some of the more conservative senators. Melanie slipped on a pair of white strappy heels and made her way to the elevator.