An old friend

"Order! Order!" Yelled Mas Amedda across the uproar. "Let Senator Saam finish."

Currently, the Senate was unsuccessfully debating the true cost of the war. The house was divided and in turn, the senate floor was littered by arguing systems. Melanie and Padme sat back and observed the play. 

"This is not a matter of Philosophy. More troops are needed. The Republic can not afford to let the Separatists gain any more ground." Reasoned Senator Saam.

"Our generals inform us that troops in the field continue to perform valiantly. What we can not afford is to be irresponsible. The republic is near bankruptcy due to the cost of this war." Bail Organa interrupted.

Now it the was the Trade Federations turn to chime in. "Bankruptcy is not necessary, my friends. If we pass Senator Saam's bill to open new lines of credit, we will gain access to the need funds."

"Won't this bill essentially deregulate the banks?" Came another voice.

"A small price to pay to finance this war, is it not?" Came a Kaminoans answer.

The Senate erupted into chaos again. Melanie leaned over to Padme and told her what she thought would be the best comment to make. Without a second thought of deliberation, Naboos platform moved forward and Padme joined the conversation.

"Members of the Senate. Do you hear yourselves? More money, more clones, more war! Say nothing of fiscal responsibility, what about moral responsibility? Hasn't this war gone on long enough?"

"Senator Amidala, are you suggesting we surrender to the separatists?" Asked Saam.

"Of course not but negotiations might be a better course of action." Padme fired back.

"You can't negotiate with those animals!" Yelled a voice across the room followed by "Keep the war going." and "Vote now!"

Padme looked back at Melanie with a defeated look. Melanie just shook her head.

"Members of the Senate! I suggest we table any bill until it is determined whether or not deregulation is the right course of action." Reasoned Organa looking around at the Senators on the floor.

"Very well. We shall let calmer heads prevail." Mas Amedda ended the conversation and the session altogether.

Padme and Melanie returned their platform to its designated spot and were surprised to see Anakin and Ahsoka waiting.

"Why, hello there." Melanie welcomed. "What brings you here. It wouldn't be a bunch of senators fighting like school children would it?"

"We decided it would be interesting to find out the result of this debate, however, it looks like we might have to come back later," Anakin replied with a grin as they started down the hallway towards Padmes office.

"You must ask the Jedi council to speak with Chancellor Palpatine." Implored Padme, still thinking over the conversation she had just had.

"Don't involve me in this," said Anakin defensively.

"A peaceful solution is the only way out of this morass of war." Melanie backed up her Senator.

"That's not my role." Anakin reminded them.

"Why not?" Came Ahsokas little yet strong voice. She circled around in front of the group. "Why isn't it your role. Aren't we Jedi Knights? Isn't it our duty to speak our minds to advise the chancellor?"

Melanie grinned at the young girl while Anakin cleared his throat awkwardly. "Uh, I suggest you two teach my young padawan a thing or two about politics."