Part 14: Danger Ward

Everything is running smoothly, all the doctors are following my new instructions, patients are being treated the way they should, and there are no further problems with Cassian Shin...at the moment. The damn is like a sparkly new beacon of hope, with less issues and less griping about how things are being done around here. Karen is even on the same page as me, which is a miracle all in its own. Typically she doesn't really care for me, so this is a special treat. I did get Iggy his program, without having to frothy government. A better case just needed to be made to the mayor for the funding, and who better to get funding than Dr. Helen. Sure I told myself that I wouldn't use my TV personality to get things done – it works though. It works very well, especially when you need something very expensive and no one really wants to pay for it, Dr. Helen takes care of everything. Hell, I even got a raise for our "lower and staff" such as janitors, shop workers, and security. Some thing that has been struggled with for the last eight years now. And although being medical director has had its ups so far it is without a doubt that there have been downs. Every once in a while when I get called into a meeting or Oncology to be a consultant on something, not everything goes right. For instance in the Oncology, it was very hard for me not to take over and treat the patient as I would – giving everything over to the new head of oncology, Dr. Henry Bolin, was very hard for me. But I remembered that every doctor has their own method and mine is not always the best way. The patient is doing excellent, and a lot of people love Henry Bolin, so I guess everyone wins in this situation.

It's been two months since I took over maxes job, and everything seems to be going well. Not for Max so much. He's been having some issues- having to jump between the general practicing, and a few other departments he's been asked to help with. But as my secret deputy medical director, he's doing excellent. He's not overstepping me, he actually offers a lot more help than I ever had: maybe that shows who the better doctor is...not me obviously.

Sitting in my office filling out some more papers, there's a knock at my door. They soon come in, and it's Max. However he has several cuts on his neck and face and upper arms. Bursting out of my seat I go to him and look them over.

"Oh my God Max! Are you OK what happened?"

"Psych ward today. Dementia patient needed to be looked over for some minor injuries, turned my back for two seconds and the nurse stepped out: and let's just say that they got on top of me before I could get out from underneath them. They didn't like what I had to do and didn't understand why it was happening." He says casually, but I can tell that he's hurting. The way he winces when I look over a slight cut and the way that I turn his head from side to side told me that it's more than just the cuts that's bothering him.

"Did you hit your head at all? What are specifically happened?" Getting him to one of my arm chairs, he sits down. Taking out my first aid kit from one of my bookshelves, I grab the gauze and some Neosporin to start cleaning each little scratch. I said on the coffee table across from him and begin cleaning him up.

"Jason Tega, a 40-year-old man and patient in psych for severe dementia, had cut his hand on his bathroom mirror after having punched it. When I got there he was in bed calm and answering my questions calmly. The nurse stepped out to take a call, and I turned around just enough to get a few supplies out of my bag, and as I turn away- he sprung out of bed. He got on my back and took me down to the floor- rolled me over and started scratching the hell out of me, punching, hitting, gouging at my skin with his long fingernails: they had been trying to clip for at least a week now. The only way I got them off was one to mail orderlies came in and picked him up. Mr. Tega is very strong and he flips like a switch I swear. They got him sedated and in bed; I cleaned up the rest of his hand and I left." There Hass to be at least 40 different scratch marks and cuts all over marks from arms to neck to face. As I get up and examine his head I realize, that he cracked his head open and there's blood coming out.